• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Cooler question(s)

PRYAPSM

NAXJA Forum User
So I was thinking could I use my old auxiliary fan to cool a B&M tranny cooler. Since the stock auxiliary kicks on around 218 couldn't I just plug into the old harness and use it? I am currently running CSF 3 row radiator w/ Dirtbound fans.

Question 1. Can the I switch polarity on the auxiliary fan to make a pusher verses being a puller?

Question 2. Would this even fit in front of the radiator?

Question 3. Would I counter act the Dirtbound fans?

:idea:
Thanks

Yes, you can use the old aux fan and no, running the motor in reverse is not the way to go. There is a reason all of the aftermarket fan manufacturers use different blade designs for pusher/puller fans.

218F on is way to high for a trans though. My Derale p/n 13021 T-Stat turns the fan on at 180F and off at 170F. I use a 650cfm puller fan.

Yes, you can use the old aux fan and no, running the motor in reverse is not the way to go. There is a reason all of the aftermarket fan manufacturers use different blade designs for pusher/puller fans.

218F on is way to high for a trans though. My Derale p/n 13021 T-Stat turns the fan on at 180F and off at 170F. I use a 650cfm puller fan.

Okay so I can not use the old fan in reverse, check that one off!
So now I understand that 218f is high for the tranny, but is there a way to lower the temp the aux fan kicks on? Or am I just wasting my time with this old fan?

Thanks

I’ve always found that having a pusher in front of a puller that one always overrides the other. As in one is stronger than the other and the other fan doesn’t move any air.

My knowledge is limited though so maybe someone else will chime in.

Okay so I can not use the old fan in reverse, check that one off!
So now I understand that 218f is high for the tranny, but is there a way to lower the temp the aux fan kicks on? Or am I just wasting my time with this old fan?

Thanks

Derale makes fan thermoswitches. Check them out!

This is what’s always drove me away from ditching the stock fan setup, unless you run the fan constantly you don’t always have air flow across the trans cooler, I have mine in front of the mechanical fan so there is always air across it. And for note my trans temp doesn’t get above 140 cruising around in town, on the highway its close to 110, wheeling in 100 degress with 33s and stock gears it got up to 270!

Derale makes fan thermoswitches. Check them out!

Yeah I added that on my wish list on Amazon.

I would suggest if you use a fan for tranny cooling you have it on whenever the engine is running. IMHO you cannot overcool an AW4 under most conditions.

Yeah thinking I might have mount the tranny cooler in the cargo area, it is the only way I will be able to run a consistently and not interfere with fans I already have.

Thanks Again.

^^This is correct. One of the driving reasons behind running the trans lines through the radiator is to add heat to the trans more than to shed it. In the snow, it would take until the 12th of forever for the trans to come up to an acceptable operating temperature. And they do need to operate inside of a temperature band.

Which is why I have my aux cooler tucked out of the air stream with a thermistat controlled fan on it. The cooler will shed heat passively and the fan comes on at 180F, goes off at 170F. Plumbing wise, I run the fluid through the cooler prior to going to the radiator.

You sure CAN over cool an Aw4 and it's just as bad as over heating it!

I would rather have to wait for the trans to warm up then constantly getting into overheating it. When the fluid gets to a point it gets burnt and breaks down and you need to flush it. It will warm up from a cool running system though; you just might need to stall it out to get it warm! But it also really depends on your climate you’re in.

Best way to run your Aux cooler is from trans to aux cooler back to radiator/cooler, then you won't/shouldn't have any issues.

Best way to run your Aux cooler is from trans to aux cooler back to radiator/cooler, then you won't/shouldn't have any issues.

I don't agree with that, then whats the point of the aux cooler? Because then your passing it thru the radiator that is around ~190 before heading back to the trans. I see the radiator as more of a warmer then a cooler.

Mine is trans>radiator>aux cooler>trans

Also I have a B&M cooler that bypasses the cooler if its below a temp threshold, so I think with this type of cooler and set up its the best way to go.

The FSM says "normal" fluid temp for the AW4 is 122-176*F.

Here's what the exchanger looks like out of the radiator; pretty awesome, huh?

In-RadiatorHeatExchanger.jpg

I have the mid size B&M (#70268?) plumbed between the trans output and the exchanger, works well enough for me, and the weather here. If I lived someplace warmer 6 months of the year, I wouldn't bother with the exchanger, but it does seem to warm things up a little more quickly in town in colder weather. On the highway, it doesn't seem to do much though.

You sure CAN over cool an Aw4 and it's just as bad as over heating it!

I don't think I will ever have a chance to over cool the tranny cooler, with an average temp of 80degrees. I have am having hard enough time keeping the engine cool, and summer has not even begun!

Yup, this thread is missing any discussion on LOCATION. LOCATION plays a big part... good luck over cooling that aw4 in southern california, or tucson where the OP is located.

It wont be this forums first facepalmable offense, nor the last!

Back