• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aux power pannel

beastlydumass

NAXJA Forum User
alrite so i got a 95 with an optima yellow top and am trying to find the best wat to setup atleast a 4 port power pannel. i talked to guy at oriley and he said the best with off the shelf stuff would be a 100 amp circut breaker hooked to a 4 port fuse block. im wanting to have it have power only wen the key is in the on position and try to eleminate as many switches for future hook ups.

What?

Wtf are you going to run thru a 12 volt plug that pulls 100 amps?

What are you trying to run thru these ports?

Wire the thing to a spot in the fuse panel, add a fuse and be done.

just trying to make a common point for a winch lights oba and what ever else i mite want. im not saying im guna need 100amps its just the breaker he showed me. im trying to stay away from runing to the fuse panels so im not pulling away from wat they need.

I am sure the auto parts guy was trying to be helpful, but most of them are morons.

Buy or make an auxiliary fuse panel. Power it with a relay that is activated by your ignition switch.

Your winch should wired directly to the battery.

Blue Sea make lots of good power management stuff -> http://bluesea.com/category/81/21 - or visit your local car stereo/auto alarm shop.

Dirtbound sells a relay/fuse box kit for a reasonable price.

Ah! I see what you want now. I thought you wanted to wire in one of those 4 cig outlet things in your jeep.

You can buy the kit or just buy a heavy fuse block and run a heavy wire to it thru a relay to switched power. You're not going to run a winch from it. Lights would be fine.

Just like Lowrange2 suggests. If memory serves me I used some welding wire that I got at the local ace and had some ends crimped on by a friend. An inline fuse rated to your draw (it will depend on what you plan on running through there) A relay as suggested wired to your ignition, and a clean ground. Think about your mounting location if you are going to be running multiple leads off of this block as you are going to need the space for relays ect.

afb400-2.gif

http://www.autodax.com/product_p/afb400.htm

Use that fuse block

Wire a relay like this to the single 10ga input wire on the fuse block. Use at least 10 gauge wire from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the fuse block.

12527647e9129233622.bmp

Find a good grounding spot and add a ground post near your fuse block and you'll be set.

You could run lights (You'd want seperate switches for the lights), and any other low amperage 12 volt powerered toy from your fuse block.

You mentioned a winch. Please don't try to power a winch thru a fuse block like this. A winch pulls A LOT of juice and would turn that little fuse thingy into a lump of squishy plastic. :)

Hope that helps. Is that what you're looking for?

Ultimatly, I think this would be a waste if you had to run power for switches back into the cab. The stock relay box has more than enough spots to use. I pulled the back of my relay box apart and added spots for auxilary power. There's a good write-up on here about it.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1075024

There ya go.

Last edited:
Back