• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella foglights :/

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I had to install a new hella harness for my old hella foglights. I wired everything up, but didn't want to splice into the headlight lead, so I put the wire that was supposed to be spliced to the headlight lead directly on the battery with the power lead. The lights turned on and off a couple of times, but as soon as I started my Jeep they stopped working. I think the relay blew (12V 30amp), do I need a stronger relay? How can I wire these things so I don't need the headlight lead, and so the relay doesn't blow??

Ok. I wired them with a hella harness and followed the instructions, minus splicing onto the headlights. I connected the wire that was supposed to go to the headlights to the battery. The 15a fuse was good.

Last edited:
Yeah I dont know how Hella runs thier harness, I have used Hellas but always made my own wiring. The relay should have a #30, #87, #86, #85. I run #30 to the battery fused. #87 to the lights. #86 and #85 are the control side. There is always an argument of hot side or ground side control, I like ground side control so I jump #86 to #30 so its always hot on #86, then run #85 thru a switch conected to ground.

The wire that goes to the headlight should be the signal or low current side of the relay. Check for voltage at pin #30 on the relay. And check all grounds. Assuming your relay is numbered like most standard relays

Ah. Sounds like I need to jump 86 to 30. I think my 86 is supposed to be going to the headlights. The weird thing is that they worked fine until I started the engine. Ill look at iit again tomorrow. Ill post a more detailed description of how its wired.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNEvqj72oQzjRXtMfBc31Od8umEzTg&cad=rja

If the only thing you changed was moving the light green wire to be connected directly to the battery instead of tapping into the stock lighting, you need to check your fuses and connections. Just moving that one wire wouldn't change anything else, aside from your fog lights working all of the time *with the switch on, instead of only when the stock lights are on.

Last edited:
I'm about to go out and have a look. The on/off illuminated switch is still getting power, it illuminates. When I turned the lights on the first couple times I could hear the relay activating. Now I don't hear it. I'm going to check grounds. I will also report which pins are going where, and check voltage.

Wow. It was the switch. The power wire on the back was bent at a crazy angle, probably didn't have a good connection. Straightened it out and reconnected it, viola. Lights work.

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it.

Back