• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cannot get my leaf spring out...help!

Da-heep

NAXJA Forum User
long list of bullshit goes here:

i have a 99 xj. recently destroyed my drivers side leaf out at badlands..

My brother offers to help me remove it and replace with new leaf springs, 10 hours later we are finally onto the front bolts that mount the leaf spring to the frame.

after a few shredded sockets we think that we have it threaded out of the frame so my brother cuts the heads of the bolts off to slip out the leafs

the bolt was not finished threading out of the frame and so now (he cut both sides before checking) so now both leaf springs are stuck with no head of the bolt to pull out.

so to make it better he grabs the springs and pulls them towards the outside of the vehicle (which bends the mounting plate weilded to the vehicle) I ask him to stop so he then says he is done helping me with it and i can go XXXX myself.

so now its sitting un movable in his driveway and i cannot get these XXXXing bolts out.

how the XXXX do i fix his mistakes?

There have been a few threads on here where folks have cut a hole in the framerail above the nut welded into the frame, and broken the weld nut loose.

Try googling: frozen leaf spring bolt, naxja

should come up with the info you need

thank you, i googled and then found. I also got a hold of flexdxj and i am going to go see him after he gets off work. he has done it a couple of times before.

I have had great success drilling a hole in the broken bolt and using a hardened TORX socket on the end of an impact driver (the hand hammered kind). Make sure you drill the hole as big as possible and use a TORX bit slightly bigger. Heat it with a torch before you try to extract it. I found this works much better then an EasyOut. Don't cut the bolts. With that said,
I would say the best way to do this is to cut leaf spring (on the same plane as the bolt) at the bottom of the bushing with a grinding wheel. Next grab a large pair of pliers and rotate the bushing 180 degrees and cut the other side through to the rubber. If you did that right the metal will fall off. Next cut the rubber with a utility knife. Now that the bolt and metal sleeve are exposed you can use heat on the nut and a pipe wrench on the metal sleeve to force the bolt loose.

The bolt isn't stuck in the nut welded inside the frame, its stuck in the bushing. If you put an easy out in there the best it will do is nothing, the worst is break. You have to get the spring off that bolt. They tend to get frozen to each other over time due to the way the inner shell was manufactured. Basically, the inner shell that the bolt slides through started its life as a piece of flat steel and was bent into a tube shape. Where the two ends met and were seam welded the galvanizing coating burned off. This area rusts rapidly and swells up making the bushing and the bolt basically become a single piece.

Easy and simple solution, if you have oxy-acetylene. I don't have a good solution otherwise, except get a torch from someone. You should probably also know how the torch works basically, although this isn't a very difficult job. Just be sure that you have a way to put out a fire, as you will be burning stuff under your truck.

Step 1: Cut the spring off the bushing with the cutting torch. Then, cut the outer shell of the bushing off as well. There should only be the rubber left visible. It will probably be on fire at this point. Put it out, since you are going to change out the tips on your torch.

Step 2: Switch to a brazing/welding tip, I use a #1 or 2 and begin burning the rubber. It will burn pretty easily. Once its nice and soft, break it off with a screwdriver. The rubber bushing will rip right in two once its been on fire for a little bit.

Step 3: Heat the inner shell and remove the bolt.

Takes no time at all. The worst part is the mess and the smell. Be prepared to toss your clothes afterwards. If you DO track the gooey burnt rubber chunks into your house, the only good clean up I've found is WD-40. It will take it up pretty quick, even from carpet.

Last edited:
DSC06221.jpg

DSC06225.jpg

Back