• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock travel question

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
Normally I wouldnt do this, but.......I'm not done with my suspension yet and I found a set of 8inch FOA's for cheap. I'm wondering if they will work in my rear. I will be around 5 to 5.5inchs of lift and on 35s with the possibility of relocating my shock mounts either flush on axle or slightly lower. I will cut fenders, but nothing more then a cut and fold. Anyone with a similar set up running a 8in travel shock? shock specs 22.5 extended, 14.5 collapsed. "medium" valving. What length shocks are you guys running with that amount of lift on 35s. Sorry for the noob question.....I know, I know.....

You could mount them like /\ to get as much travel out of them as possible. But if mounted at 45* the shocks ability to dampen will be about 50% of what it would be if mounted vertically.

:lecture:

EDIT: that didn't even answer your question. But maybe it will help!

i'd run them on the stock upper mounts, and relocate the lowers to be flush with the axle. you'll be pulling a little more than 8" travel that way. it won't be a lot but it should be "enough." at 3" lift, 8" travel was perfect for me running stock upper and almost stock lower mounts.

Two reasons to pass........8" and they're FOA's.

Yea I'm passing on them. Been looking at a set of 10s on here.

I have some 10" shocks (16.1 to 26.1), that I am just now trying figure out how to mount in the rear. If I mount the top to the stock location, they are too long to mount on the axle tube... even if I angle them all the way out toward the springs, and mount on the lower edge of the tube.

I'm at 5-5.5" on 35s.

I have some 10" shocks (16.1 to 26.1), that I am just now trying figure out how to mount in the rear. If I mount the top to the stock location, they are too long to mount on the axle tube... even if I angle them all the way out toward the springs, and mount on the lower edge of the tube.

I'm at 5-5.5" on 35s.
Sounds like a short body shock might work. What shocks are you trying to mount?

I actually run foa's.

their customer service has been exceptional for me.

i have had issues with them blowing out which they blamed on manufacturing defects, but as soon as one shock blew out, they would send me another pair free of charge.

to date i have blown out 3 of them. (which shouldnt happen, and i probably won't be buying another foa product soon) but aside from that i like the way they perform and have no reason to knock their customer service.

I actually run foa's.

their customer service has been exceptional for me.

i have had issues with them blowing out which they blamed on manufacturing defects, but as soon as one shock blew out, they would send me another pair free of charge.

to date i have blown out 3 of them. (which shouldnt happen, and i probably won't be buying another foa product soon) but aside from that i like the way they perform and have no reason to knock their customer service.

This is why. FOA has had serious quality control problems. When there are plenty of good quality, proven shock brands, there is no good reason to risk spending good money on FOA's. I know one KOH racer who could not get rid of his FOA's fast enough and he was sponsored.

Back