• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tps grounds on renix

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
does the TPS (throttle position sensor) on an 89 with an automatic have separate grounds? meaning one for the flat 3 wire side (engine management) and another for the square 4 wire (only has 3 actually) for the transmission control. i know the flat 3 connector has a ground wire, which i have added a better ground to since i was getting a little too much resistance. now i have none with the new ground. but when i test the 4 wire side, the (D) pin which i assume is the ground is showing 650 ohms from pin to neg side of battery. can i put another GOOD ground wire on the transmission side like i did with the engine management side?

i cannot get both side to get within spec with a new TPS. either i set it with the engine management side to spec, or the transmission side to spec. but not both. i think a better ground to the trans side may fix this, but do not want to mess up the ECU by grounding a wire that shouldnt be.

Last edited:
Ding, ding, ding!!!!! YES!!!!!!

You just discovered one of the deepest darkest secrets of the Renix automatic TPS!!!! You get 10 brownie points sir!!!!!

I take it you have not read, or forgot what you read in the "RenX Files" thread I wrote 5 years ago here?

Took me 2 years to figure that TPS-dual ground issue. Mine had bad grounds on both side, AND the TPS was perfect on the engine side I was testing, but was way off on the AW4 side. It ran like a little old lady up shifting at 1200 rpm, and was in 4th gear by 25 to 30 mph at WOT. Took 3 minutes to get to 60 mph when I bought it.

IIRC, I used the same, single, new ground on both sides of the TPS, directly to the battery negative post on all my Renix jeeps.

Back