• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wipers pissin me off

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, Ive been tinkerin with my stupid wipers for a few months now. They work, but are really slow. They actually work fine while in the delay mode, but on low they slow down, and on high they go even slower than low. Tested the power and get 12v+ where im supposed to depending on where the switch is. Ive disconnected the lil black box to make sure that wasnt it and it wasnt, and ive swapped out the motor twice. So, I have a new motor, power where It needs to go..oh, and ive changed out the lil plastic thingys and lubed the linkage...I DONT GET IT!!!

Anyone got anymore ideas here?

So i just when to tinker with it some more...dont know if this will help, but with the wipers off when I turn the motor on high it definately sounds like its kicking up a notch, and you can feel it when you turn the switch if you lay your hand on it, but the speed is still totally pathetic.

From Joe Peters and well stated. Sounds harsh but just makes sense:
"Let’s play a game.

You pretend that you are the only one that knows what year/engine, etc that you are asking about.

We will all pretend you never asked a question until you provide at least the bare minimum of information about your vehicle".

Here's MY guess!

Replace the little plastic bushings on your wiper arm linkage. You have to remove the wiper motor. While you're there clean up the electrical connections. If you've never removed your wiper motor it can be a B. The bushings are just pop out - pop in. Note: mark and/or remember the orientation of the arm linkage to the motor or your wipers will wipe up and not down or vice versa...and you'll curse my suggestion.

Anyhoo, replace the bushings (available at any parts store in the HELP section) lube them up good with some lithium grease and re-install the whole thing. I did this on my MJ and ZOOM! Worked wonders.

My 92 does abotu the same thing. i changed out the linkage bushings a while back 4 years ago? and it still is the same.

the wipers move accross the windshield slower on lo than on delay. it is annoying.

When this happened on my 87 it was the main output bearing/bushing on the wiper motor. It was dry and worn and it bogged down and dragged. It's worthwhile taking the motor out and opening it up to lube that shaft even if it hasn't gone bad yet. If you still have a functioning rear wiper, and it's the older style that's screwed, rather than riveted, together, it's a good idea to do that one too before it is too late.

Back