• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling problem

1990xj

NAXJA Forum User
I hope somebody can answer my questions. A little back ground as to what I have done to this point. I took a 93 Cherokee I6 automatic that didn’t have a motor or transmission and dropped a 96’s drive train into it to use as my daily. I did swap out the 96’s oil pressure sending unit and the temp gage sending unit and put the 93’s sensors. The 93’s jeep didn’t have a dash cluster so I got one (without) the idiot lights, but the real gages and put that in. The 96’s motor had a new water pump, and radiator just installed into it before it was wrecked so I am pretty sure they are not the problems. I can touch all the hoses and they all get hot for the heating and cooling system(s) so it appears like the coolant is circulating. I can turn on the heat and it gets plenty toasty in the cab of the jeep. I have made sure to top off the antifreeze using 50/50 so I know I have plenty of that in the resiovor full mark. I did replace the thermastat thinking that it was maybe stuck closed. No luck with that.

Here in lays my problem. I start the jeep up and the temp gage starts to slowly creep up to the redline and then settle back down to 225 to 230ish. Every once in a while I will hear the electric fan kick on and the temp will drop back down to 215ish but will then creep back up to 225. I am wondering when I replaced the temp gage sensor I wasn’t able to get all the threads down flush with the block. The old part was removed with a 13mm deep socket, and the new part is 14mm. However, the valve cover is so close to the positioning of the part and the fire wall, that I am unable to get a 14mm deep socket over the temp sender to tighten it down fully. I have hand tightened it best I could, but did not want to overdo it for fear of break the plastic top off the brass bottom, and am unable to get an open ended wrench in there to crank it down any further. Coolant does not appear to be leaking, the gage is working due to the temps getting up to the 225ish. Is there an air pocket that could be trapped in the small space, and it just isn’t getting down to the coolant level? Is that even my problem? Thoughts ideas? Help me LOL!!!!

You need to confirm the temp issue with either an IR gun or some other means. The fan should come on at 218 if everything is working properly. So, did the 93 or 96 have senders for gauges or for idiot lights. They are different. What does the 96 cluster have...lights or gauges?

IMHO you should buy new senders for the matching cluster to make sure you're getting the right signal. I thought my MJ was running cold but I had the wrong sender in there so I was getting a wonky reading.

You should be able to get a socket on the sender if you unbolt the MAP sensor assembly. Is the new sender an OEM unit? You're just guessing until you confirm with an IR gun as mentioned above.

where did you buy the gauge sensor? when i replaced mine, i got one from autozone and it was way off. got one from the dealership and it started reading correctly.

You need to confirm the temp issue with either an IR gun or some other means. The fan should come on at 218 if everything is working properly. So, did the 93 or 96 have senders for gauges or for idiot lights. They are different. What does the 96 cluster have...lights or gauges?

IMHO you should buy new senders for the matching cluster to make sure you're getting the right signal. I thought my MJ was running cold but I had the wrong sender in there so I was getting a wonky reading.

Now that you mention it the 96 had the idiot dash where I have replaced the 93 with gages.

You might also have an air pocket. Back the jeep up an incline and. Let it cool. Then remove the sensor, and start the jeep back up. As it warms up, it will start to puke coolant out of the sensor hole. When you think the bubble is gone, re-install the sensor.

Could you snake a crows foot in there to tighten it the rest of the way?

Oh and don't buy this kinds of stuff from autism zone, napa or the dealer only

Back