• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High steer / track bar interference questions

Uglygreenxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am gathering all the parts up to move up to about 6"-6.5" of lift from my current sagging 3.5". I have already aquired my RE 1345 coils, RE 1462 leaves (used in conjuction with my existing spacers and shackles), RE xtreme duty track bar and bracket, and AA SYE. I will be fabbing a new crossmember and long arms.

I will need to address my steering and want to do it right the first time. I am tired of bending tie rods and am leaning toward the 3/4 - 1 ton crossover style setup. I would like to run it over the knuckle. I have no problem reaming the knuckles and fabbing/welding the steering components. I also realize I will need to cut off and relocate my sway bar mounts up higher - no problem.

My question is this: as I understand it, if I run the tie rod over the knuckle it will interfere with the track bar? If I cut off my stock axle end track bar bracket and use the one from ORGS which moves it above the axle, will my RE adjustable track bar still work?, and will this solve the contact issues?

Have I missed any other potential problems? (I did lots of searching already!)

Relocating the TB to the top of the axle will solve most of your clearance issues. Assuming you're running a D30, you'll also have to cut back the lip on the front of the coil spring perches substantially and lose the steering damper mount as well as the TB mount. You'll also have to relocate the swaybar mounts. That's if you want to get full range of motion out of your steering. I came within 1/8" of the steering stops on my D30 & I hacked it substantially. You'll have to shorten the TB when you relocate it and I believe the RE unit is chromoly, so be prepared for cutting & welding on it. I got lucky when I did mine, my ORGS TB just needed a shorter end to fit it to the top of the axle which I flabbed together with a rubber bushing & a 1" x 14 grade 8 bolt. (yes I'm a hack, but it wheeled just fine) Now that I'm more sophisticated I'd get a piece of 1" x 14 all-thread like what was originally used on the TB end.

Back