• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SnapOn MT2500 Scan Tool

marc davis

NAXJA Forum User
All

I'm thinking about getting an old MT2500 for my 92 XJ. Does anyone have one of these? I have a few questions.

I think I need the Chry-1 cable and primary cartridge that covers a 92 jeep.
Do I need a personality key and what do they do?
What does a Diag cartrige do for me? Do I need one?
Do I need the book that covers the Jeep to make sense of the information?

Thanks for any info.
Marc

I recently got one off E-Bay. The cartridge I have goes up to 98. My XJ is a 96,wifes a 98 and sons(mine also) is a 87.
I have used it on the 98 and 96 --connected into the OBDII port.
It also came with all adapters to check pre OBDII and renix era stuff,,I have not tried to connect it to the 87.

The key for the 96-98 is #8. I have no idea what the key# is for the Renix system, but the unit will tell you ,when you input the vehicle info.
Be advised this scan tool is about 3 generations behind what is needed for 2012 vehicles,,,, pay for a used unit accordingly......Local dealer was just throwing them away......

no worries there marc, i have spent enough for a while. as much as i need one right now hunting a low idle issue, i can not afford it. i am armed with an analog and digital volt/ohms meters and going to town. though i am real close to driving the jeep over to the local high school and charging a dollar a hit with an 18 pound sledge. should get me enough for a pizza and a 6 pack and be done with it.

I have an MTG2500 (the color graphing version of the MT). It works fine for everything I need. It will read generic OBDII even on new cars, but it does not read any of the specialty stuff. It has connectors for just about everything, but I have not yet tried to plug it into a Renix system. My XJ is a '96, so it's OBDII. I do like the troubleshooter cartridge. It comes in VERY handy at times. I paid a lot for mine back in the day, but these days they aren't worth much. I still use mine a lot, though.

I have used mine alot. I bought it off eBay for cheap. I love being able to have all the info in one spot. Well worth the money in my book.

I would love to see my 96 obd2 hooked up to a DRB so that I can sync up the CMP to the CKP.

After doing some research in some Dodge forums, the drb-3 and mt2500 will show you how much the cam is sync'd to the crank signal. Apparently CELs won't be set if it falls in the -10 to +10 range. 0 is sync'd and many shoot for +4 or +6 advance for low end power. They get the fuel shooting before the intake valve fully closes and there is a scavenging effect as the air entering the cylinder pulls the fuel with it. Anyhow, I'm highly interested in doing this adjustment before I even begin to play with tuning the F/IC. So either negotiate w/ the dealer for a 1/2hr instead of 1hr labor charge, try Aamco(inside tip said offer $20--it'll only take 10min), or find someone who's willing to rent it. . .

Last edited:
no worries there marc, i have spent enough for a while. as much as i need one right now hunting a low idle issue, i can not afford it. i am armed with an analog and digital volt/ohms meters and going to town. though i am real close to driving the jeep over to the local high school and charging a dollar a hit with an 18 pound sledge. should get me enough for a pizza and a 6 pack and be done with it.

If the new ground does not fix it, a forced added, controlled vacuum leak will force it to idle faster. I discovered that varying the CCV line orifice diameter works to force a higher idle.

Other option is to let Uncle Bob :scared: (LOL) adjust the idle stop on the throttle ear of the throttle body (not as drastic as the 18 lb sledge hammer), then readjust the TPS.

even uncle bob didnt fix this one. will idle good for a few seconds then it seems the ecu adjust it down to about 200 rpm no matter how much (HE) screws the stop in. i have never used either of these scanners, but if it would tell me real time what each sensor is doing, it may give me a better idea of what to chase.

on a side note. i am finding a weird issue with my MAT wire. (other thread started on this)

Back