• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad lean on new to me springs?

SolarBell

NAXJA Forum User
It appears as though I bought the most beat used springs on the planet. I bought some Rock Krawler leafs and Tomken coils from the same guy. The standing height of the coils was about 1/2" - 3/4" different, but I thought I had read before some coils were like that. So I put the taller coil on the drivers side to compensate for my normal weight. After driving to work and back today to get everything to settle I measured and my passenger side is sitting a full inch lower than the drivers side!! And in the rear the passengers side is 1/2" lower than the drivers!

Any ideas? I'll probably try to swap the passenger and driver coils to see what that does. If that's not it all I can think to do is put a inch of spacer on the one coil, but that seems stupid in the long run.

Loosen the shackels on the leafs and bounce it a few times.

Oh well.....

Check the condition of your coil spring isolator pads. If worn, your coils will sit crooked and you may lose some height as a result. Is your bump stop centered in the coil? If not, check that isolator. Cheap and easy fix. Just a suggestion.

I am still running a (new) OE isolator AND an OME isolator above each coil. It gives me a tad more wheel space and the isolators fit together well.

It's probably not the coils, its the leafs. Try switching leafs from side to side and see if that helps.

I had this problem with a Rusty's lift once, he sent me a 1" add a leaf to fix it.......

Coil spring isolaters are in good condition and the coil is sitting correctly both on the top and bottom. I swapped the coils last night and will measure again tonight to see how they settle after a day's worth of driving. It would not surprise me if it was the leafs causing the problem, I had seen something like that on a previous setup but it wasn't nearly this bad.

Common problem, I call it "torque lean".... basically when you take off from a stop, the whole rig wants to lean over to the passenger side some due to the rotation of the motor, driveshaft, etc. Over time, this takes its toll on the passenger rear leaf spring especially, and even moreso if they are lift springs with extra arch (and they are usually "excercised" more than stock leafs offroad).

Since you already swapped the front coils, I would go ahead and swap the rear leafs side to side. It may sit a little low in the driver's side for a while, but the torque lean should eventually even it out.... until both rear leafs are sagged evenly.... then you'll have to address the rear being lower than the front....

You found an unfortunate downside to buying used lift parts... you don't always get what you're expecting.

Thanks, that's real good info.

I swapped front coils and now I'm sitting 1/2" low both front and rear on the passenger side, so it's definitely in the back not the front. I also found that I set up my new shackle conversion with the passenger's side upper mount about 1/4" or so more forward than the driver's side so there is more shackle angle and less lift. I'm going to fix that setup, run it for a few days, and then if it's still off swap the rear leafs.

Yeah, I knew I ran that risk buying used. But I just didn't have a couple hundred bucks to drop on new leafs and coils. The side problem is that I'm dang picky with getting my rig sitting just right.

Back