• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's this leaking?

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
I got home today and noticed some drops of some type of oil today. It smells like diff oil, with the kind of onion smell to it. What is it and where is it coming from?
Here's some pics to give a better idea.

101_0163.jpg

101_0164.jpg
101_0168.jpg

What color is it? Can you look higher? The lower down pictures don't give any indication where it comes from.

Its more or less clear. It has a pale brown tint to it but that's probably from dirt and such mixing with it. From what you see in the pictures is where all the oil is. There's none from anywhere on up.

You should really clean off ANY signs of oil from the entire underside and then you'll have a much better chance of finding exactly where it leaking from.

AX-15 5 spd manual transmission in '98 TJ 4.0L

The AX-15 fill plug is located on the driver's side of the tranny, near the front of the skid plate and about half way up the side of the transmission housing. This view is take laying on your back, with the front drive shaft just above your right shoulder with the top of your head towards the front of the vehicle. It uses a 15/16" socket or wrench.

Ok, since it isn't a signifigant amount dropping I'll drive it to and from school tomorrow. As soon as I get home I'll check the fluids. How will I be sure that the fluids are full since I cant visually see it?

Did anybody notice the big crack in the transmission?:dunno:

It could just be lighting I guess, but from the first pic, it looks like a big hole in the tranny.

Get under there on your back and start cleaning. Check the drain and fill plugs. Check the seams where the tranny bolts to the bellhousing. Your best friend would be a really bright flashlight. It's most likely coming from the tranny but just in case check the fluid in the Tcase and make sure it's auto tranny fluid. Sometimes people will throw whatever they have at hand in things.

Ok, today I got underneath and refilled the oil. And I tightened the 4 bolts as seen in my pictures. The bolt that seems to have the most leakage around it is the botton left one as seen in the pictures. Is there a gasket or something that goes between the transmission and that plate?

So the way you check your AX-15 is it has a 15/16 plug on the upper driver side about 5 inches up from the bottom and I would crank down all the bolts holding your T-case to your trans ( I say this because I had the same leak) and it will slow it way down or stop it .

Back