• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing a Trans Solenoid

Nolaws

NAXJA Forum User
I have been getting a check engine code on my 98 XJ Sport 4x4 off and on for about a year now. I would shut it off every month or so and then it would come back on again. As of late it has been coming on a few days after shutting it off. The code states that I have a malfunctioning trans solenoid switch. The truck works great almost all of the time but every now and then I will switch it into drive and it will take a few second for it to pop into gear. Other than that the truck runs like a champ. How hard is it to replace one of these solenoid switches or is it something I should take to a shop to have done?

Thanx in advance for any help,
Robert

Last edited:
Change all 3 while you are in there. About 220 bucks gets all 3. Order from the outfit in the above link. Dont worry about the year as the set they ship will work for all years of XJs.
It takes only an extra 1/2 hour more then changing trans fluid.
Ron

I am just about to take on this job in the next couple weeks. Anyone have the current part numbers for the solenoids I need for a 1998 Jeep for a resonable price?

Thanx in advance for any help,

Robert

Test them with an ohm meter first. Make sure it is not a wiring problem first.

Yep! Free advice is priceless--but remember this--you always get what you pay for! :roflmao:

My problem, like so many of us, is I rarely get what I paid for :bawl:

I was going to order the solenoids and I remembered I know knowledgeable guy that works at an Aamco transmission that I haven't talked to in years, so I called him. I saw the $300 price of the solenoids and wanted to make sure before I bought them this was gonna fix my problem. I need to smog this truck this month to get the registration done so I have to get the check engine light problem solved. I talked to him for around half an hour about the issues with my trans. He stated the malfunctioning trans solenoid switch code is a generic code and because I don't actually have any obvious solenoid problems he is betting it is a worn out trans. and not a solenoid. The light only comes on when on the freeway and cruising in overdrive and my buddy stated that the is common symptom of a worn out trans. especially with no other trans. problems present. He is telling my in combination with all the other problems I am having with the truck I might want to consider getting rid of it. :( I am wondering if anyone else has any idea of what else could be done?

Robert

I was going to order the solenoids and I remembered I know knowledgeable guy that works at an Aamco transmission that I haven't talked to in years, so I called him. I saw the $300 price of the solenoids and wanted to make sure before I bought them this was gonna fix my problem. I need to smog this truck this month to get the registration done so I have to get the check engine light problem solved. I talked to him for around half an hour about the issues with my trans. He stated the malfunctioning trans solenoid switch code is a generic code and because I don't actually have any obvious solenoid problems he is betting it is a worn out trans. and not a solenoid. The light only comes on when on the freeway and cruising in overdrive and my buddy stated that the is common symptom of a worn out trans. especially with no other trans. problems present. He is telling my in combination with all the other problems I am having with the truck I might want to consider getting rid of it. :( I am wondering if anyone else has any idea of what else could be done?

Robert

Well, I worked in CA in dealerships and independent garages for DECADES--and the official CA reports on auto repair facilities GETTING FINED for bad practices always had a few AAMCOs every month. Not knocking AAMCO or anyone that works/worked for them.

TEST YOUR WAY--the solenoids and their harness can be checked with a multimeter IN LESS THAN AN HOUR.

Is it a hard to do, no. Should you take to a shop, no. Jeep and NAPA want anywhere from $220-250 EACH for the solenoids). You can save yourself several hundred bucks for an hour of two of work. Post the exact codes here.

I've been having to manually shift my trans for about two weeks. I ordered two shift solenoids from the above link (bulkpart and Makco are the same). After pulling the pan I removed both shift solenoids and checked their resistance on the bench (you can check them while attached to the valve body). They need to be between 11-15 ohms. One was 11.8 ohms (good), the other was 167 ohms (seriously bad). I replaced both with the new ones. My TCC solenoid has been working fine so I didn't order a new one...I wish I had because it read 26 ohms, but is still working OK.

A few things to keep in mind:

The pan dipstick tube is a two-piece unit that's supposed to separate without having to unbolt the bracket at the rear of the block. If yours is like 90% of the XJ's out here it won't. You can remove the pan with the dipstick tube attached by carefully wiggling it and bending the bracket a little. The guy who made that how-to wasn't able to.

With the pan off and with the tube in a vise I still couldn't separate the two pieces. I ended up having to use a torch and melt the rubber seal while twisting and pulling the tubes apart. I cleaned it up and used a new O-ring in its place, along with a little RTV around the seam. I did all that because I have a feeling that I'm going to back in there some day...probably soon.

The plastic connectors to the solenoids are usually very brittle and might break. One of mine did, but I was able to use some small zip ties to secure it. Just be very careful when you pull them apart. I was aware of the problem and was careful but it still broke.

Replace the filter while you're in there. The "Made in Vietnam" filter I got from O'Reilly's didn't fit to my liking. Since I replaced my filter recently I just reused the old one.

The symptom you're describing is one that I had before it failed completely. Next it will probably fail to downshift into first gear and will want to take off in second or third, occasionally at first, then all the time. Let us know how you do. Since your CEL is coming on at highway speeds it could be your Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid. Post the codes.

Last edited:
Friend or not, I would never believe anything any body that works at a transmission repair shop says!

Robert

Yours is a 98? This is the two shift solenoids and it claims they fit 87-01:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A340E-AW4-A...es&fits=Make:Jeep&hash=item35c28d549f&vxp=mtr

This looks like the best deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/A340-Transm...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6aed9df8&vxp=mtr

BRAND NEW A-340 E/F 3 PIECE SOLENOID KIT
Fits Most 1985 to 2004 Models
Transmission also known as AW-4 or 30-40LE or A340
Commonly found in Toyota, Lexus, & Jeep

This Kit Contains:
2 Shift Solenoid With Brackets & 1 Lock-Up Solenoid With Bracket

This will fit the Transmission Models That use a T.V. Cable
Commonly found on Toyota 4 Runner & Pick-Up Models

Fits most A340 Automatic Transmission Lexus Rear Wheel Drive & Toyota Trucks 1985 Up .
This includes 1985 to 2004 4 Runners & Pick-ups with A340 Trans.
These mount on the valvebody, and are the later Updated Design.They replace the larger solenoids with the tan connectors.
These will fit all 3 solenoid models .

Here's where I got my "Made in USA" solenoids:

BulkPart.com
Three Solenoids
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=A340solenoid
[FONT=&quot]Rostra # 52-9002 $224.95[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Made in USA[/FONT]
Two Solenoids
http://www.bulkpart.com/2/product/A340solenoid/67420CK.html
[FONT=&quot]Code: 67420CK
Price: $124.95[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TCC Lockup[/FONT]
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=97425
[FONT=&quot]Code: 97425
Price: $75.10[/FONT]

Back