• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

destroyed the hole to the 02 sensor

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
so the previous owner of my truck decided it would be easier to just weld the downstream 02 sensor (one after the cat) in place thats all well and good until it needs to be replaced which it did, i had to pretty much cut through the old o2 sensor with a sawzaw and drill the rest out now the hole for the 02 sensor is totally messed up im starting to think that i may have to replace my cat, but its welded in place is there anyway i can replace this at home and get one that can clamp into place. how should i go about removing the old one should i cut straight thru the pipe or try and grind the welds off?

this isn't the question you asked, but I believe that the threads for the O2 sensor are the same as those for a spark plug. So a spark plug helicoil should work for an O2 sensor bung as well if it is just stripped and not destroyed.

Additionally you can get O2 sensor bungs etc. from places like Speedway Motors for not a lot of money, if you can have someone weld it on for you.

nate

From experience, Speedway is one of the best places to get parts. Plus, the web site is always accurate on the part availability. If it says they have it and you get the order in early in the day, it ships that day. They are the original speed shop. Been around since forever.

I have been using them since the very early '60s... And my Dad used them before that as they were the premiere source of Speed Parts for the Ford flat-head V8. We were building flatties...

so i will get a new bung for the sensor should i attempt to cut out the old bung then take it into a shop and have a new one welded in its place or should i pick a new location for the bung perhaps same spot except on the other side?

Pics would help so we know what you're working with. Might be easiest to just replace the cat if it hasn't been done. You'll have to eventually.

I had to do this on the front sensor without taking the pipe off the Jeep. Cut the entire sensor and bung off with a cutoff wheel, then had to clear out the hole and weld in a new bung. Such a PITA. Rear sensor should be much easier if you can take it off.

unbolt the exhaust, cut out old bung, weld in new bung. seems pretty straight forward.

Pics would help so we know what you're working with. Might be easiest to just replace the cat if it hasn't been done. You'll have to eventually.

I had to do this on the front sensor without taking the pipe off the Jeep. Cut the entire sensor and bung off with a cutoff wheel, then had to clear out the hole and weld in a new bung. Such a PITA. Rear sensor should be much easier if you can take it off.

I would pretty much be unbolting from the header back.

Back