• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac Bar slop

Spearfisher XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Recently went from a 4.5 lift to a 5" lift (Just Replaced the springs basically), and plated the frame as well. I've always had a bit of a shimmy from the front end for the past 2 years, but now I've contracted Death Wobble. I'll rotate the tires, get them balanced, and get it aligned in the next couple days. But, I had my buddy steer the XJ while I looked at the front end, and noticed the Track bar had some play in it. The play was from where the Track Bar mounted to the frame. I was wondering if it is normal to have play in it? It is a bushing, no? It is fairly noticeable, probably around 1/6 of an inch of play. I already torqued everything to spec. I know the steering box has some slop in it, but I'm not in the mood to drop that much cash on a new box if it is something else.

1988 XJ, Currie HP 9" F/R, Custom Lift, 33 BFG's, 4.0

You shouldn't have any play in the trackbar. Exactly what's moving? The frame end bracket to frame? Trackbar to bracket?

There are 4 bolts in the bracket, 2 up from the bottom, and 2 through from the side. The weldnuts are known to break free.

what kind of joint is used at the frame mount? what kind of frame mount? stock?

if the joint is worn out, it could have slop. if you are still using the stock mount it could be cracked, or the hole could be worn out.

we need more info man.

yeah... any play in the trackbar WILL BE A PART of your problem. Hopefully you have a Rubicon express, or similar style trackbar with a frame side joint that can be tightened to remove slop.

You shouldn't have any play in the trackbar. Exactly what's moving? The frame end bracket to frame? Trackbar to bracket?

There are 4 bolts in the bracket, 2 up from the bottom, and 2 through from the side. The weldnuts are known to break free.
The Trackbar to bracket has the play. The actually mount to the frame is rock solid.

what kind of joint is used at the frame mount? what kind of frame mount? stock?

if the joint is worn out, it could have slop. if you are still using the stock mount it could be cracked, or the hole could be worn out.

we need more info man.
Frame mount=Stock
Joint= johnny joint
At 5" of lift i hope you have a adjustable track bar..
Yes, I do.

Here's some pictures for you guys. The lines are perfectly parallel, and the yellow circle indicates where I am getting slop.

003-4.jpg
002-2.jpg
001-2.jpg

Last edited:
that IS a johnny joint. since that is a currie Trackbar.

pull the joint, make sure the hole isn't wallowed out, and then check the JJ for slop. they are rebuildable if it is loose.

I would definitely recommend one of 2 things. replacing the stock bracket with aftermarket ( RE, IRO, JKS etc) or modifying the sock mount to run in double sheer.

the problem with the currie mount is that to run in double shear, you have to cut off the Johnny Joint at the frame end and flip it 90*. unless you fabbed some sort of tab to go on the bottom of the stock mount to create a double shear mounting surface.

double shear is better, if you decide to go that route, my vote is to sell the currie trackbar to some TJ guy that needs one since his OEM TB mount is welded on and can't be made double shear very easily.

replace it with a tracbar with a no-drop mount from clayton offroad.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_78/products_id/310

the problem with the currie mount is that to run in double shear, you have to cut off the Johnny Joint at the frame end and flip it 90*. unless you fabbed some sort of tab to go on the bottom of the stock mount to create a double shear mounting surface.

double shear is better, if you decide to go that route, my vote is to sell the currie trackbar to some TJ guy that needs one since his OEM TB mount is welded on and can't be made double shear very easily.

replace it with a tracbar with a no-drop mount from clayton offroad.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_78/products_id/310
Guess I did not pay attention to the fact that the frame side joint is not adjustable.
Definitely go with something that you can run double shear.

Back