• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power windows/locks swap.

XJRocket

NAXJA Forum User
Earlier this week my beloved XJ was stolen. I have almost stopped crying, and have begun to think about a replacement. Thankfully I was insured for theft, so I should be getting some cash back out of this deal.

I have another XJ, a 2000 that was my brothers. He hit a bridge abutment in the left front. It wasted the axle and track bar. I had it put on a frame rack, and they said it is straight. It is ex gov't, and fairly base model. I really want power locks / windows / mirrors, but alas this one does not have them. If I go junkyard diving, can the power regulators, actuators, and mirrors be added? are the harnesses there?

Thanks in advance.

I believe you'll want to pull the harness that crosses from driver side to passenger side under the carpet-- I don't think the '97 and later models came with it unless power was optioned from the factory.

I had a '92 XJ that didn't come with power door locks. I pulled the parts from a local junkyard ($60) as well as the harnesses and was able to get everything to work. I did install one of the factory style switches on the drivers door but bought a $40 remote lock kit (viper I think) and tended to use that instead. At the end of the day the key elements I needed were the remote door lock kit, 5 door lock actuators and the connectors for each of the actuators. I then bought some new properly sized wire and simply hooked it all up. Works great (my brother now has the beast). I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same with power windows but note that you will have to find some new door covers since the power window assembly replaces the hand crank.

If you choose this route you will need to prowl a local pick-ur-part with a good cordless drill bit since the actuators and window gear are held in with rivets. When re-installing simply go to Home Depot and look for a set of clip on fasteners like those that slip over a body panel edge and allow a bolt to tighten in. (example from McMaster Carr at the link below).

http://www.mcmaster.com/#clip-on-nuts/=h477w8

HTH
Todd

1997-2001 all the internal door lock/latch and window parts are bolted on. Pull the parts you need including the plastic trim panels, and the door wire harness, and it all should bolt on and plug in.

1997-2001 all the internal door lock/latch and window parts are bolted on. Pull the parts you need including the plastic trim panels, and the door wire harness, and it all should bolt on and plug in.

harness from door to door IS included for a manual door?

huh, I found it on my '88, but was told by a few different people that it wasn't there on the 97+ models-- that might change my mind a little bit on what I'm buying next!!:cheers:

Thanks guys. Once I get the insurance $, this will be a fun project to keep my mind off of the a$$holes that stole my other XJ. I feel like I need to have a funeral for it.

Or, if you find one the same color, you can swap doors. And donate to me those manual doors of yours (=

Back