• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter lockup intermittent aw4

xeroOTG

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving down the interstate on my way to class this afternoon, and noticed my RPM's seemed a tad high. I tapped the gas to see if maybe I was stuck in a gear or something, but then the RPM's dropped. The lockup kicked back in. 5 Seconds later, back outta lockup. Tap the gas, same story. So, not the question, What am I looking for? Its a 98 aw4 with unknown miles.

I've had a similar issue. I'll be on the freeway and accelerate up a hill, usually I'd expect it to kick down and RPM's to go up. Instead it drops into OD...then when I'm going downhill and NOT accelerating it kicks down (as if I was accelerating).

I've read here that it's a TPS issue. I have been able to just turn the thing off at the end of the offramp, and restart. Then it's all better. Goes fine for weeks, but every once in a while it does what you're describing.

Check the adjustment on the brake switch on your brake pedal. This switch inputs to the brake lights, cruise control if you have it, and torque converter lockup circuit (so when you step on the brakes the converter unlocks) and if it's out of adjustment, it will cause issues like this.

Searched high and low for the cause of an issue like this on my brother's Comanche, and a simple adjustment for the switch was the fix in the end.

Have either of you adjusted your TV cable? They stretch over time.

Come to think of it I adjusted my TV cable about 3 months ago and can't really remember if it's happened since. I have only driven it about 1000 miles in 3 months. Now my son has it.

:idea:
:)

Possible brake switch. I installed a manual TC lockup switch in my Renix heep. Works great.

Back