• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"frozen" ignition switch

camoxj93

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys, need some help (bet you never heard that one before) on my ignition. i have a new to me 1988 manche, 4.0, 5 speed, tilt column. i have read umpteen posts on this and still not sure where to start. i have a cast on my left hand up to my elbow so i would like to know opinions on most likely things to check because its hard to get under the dash with only one hand. i was doing alot of bouncing around on trails looking at some mountain property and stopped to hike a bit. when i went to leave i turned the key and nothing. turned the key again and nothing. turned key the third time and it stuck in the on position and no crank. had power to everything but now can't turn key off. finally had to take a screwdriver to the starter solenoid and it fired right up and i drove it 3 hours home. got home and key still won't turn off. tried messing with tilt, steering, and hammer tap to key and messing with the lock lever. finally put it in gear and let the clutch out to kill it. opinions?

The electrical ignition switch is fried and damaged internally. It is under the dash, on top of the steering column, about 18-24" down the column from the steering wheel, very difficult to reach, and in your case pretty much impossible IMHO. The switch is operated by a rod on the right side (IIRC) that is about 18" long that connects the key lock mechanism to the ignition switch. The little screws that hold the ignition switch to the column are on the left side of the column. You do not need to open up or mess with the steering column internals to replace the switch, but you do need to be nibble!!!! There are many good threads here on replacing the ignition switch.

While you are in there, you might want to beef up the brown wire to the switch (and the red one IIRC?), that feeds the AC blower and controls, Radio, electric windows, wipers.... that is notorious for overheating and burning out the switches. I by passed mine and went from 14 ga BS to 10 ga wires and 30 amp fuse, and a 30 amp dash switch after eating the third ignition switch in 3 years.

Back