• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alt upgrade wiring ?

Dads XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My alt went out and I want to upgrade to the zj alt. Do I need to upgrade the wiring right away? I don't really have the time right now to do the wiring. Just don't want the rig to catch on fire.

It won't catch fire, been running mine that way for years. Although you won't get the full benefit of upgrading.
That being said, when you get the cash/time send 5-90 a pm. His stuff is awesome from what I've seen/heard. Been meaning to upgrade myself but want to do dual batts behind the front seats.

there is an explanation of how I did mine on my build thread it's on the first page of the midwest chapters threads.

if you want to save the research and have a cleaner (better crimped and sealed probably) skip straight to checking out 5-90

edit. I kind of thought you could blow the fusible link if you didn't upgrade the wiring. (i did 160 amp 'rango alternator)

If you don't place additional demands on your alternator, you won't pop the fusible link.

If you load your system beyond OEM spec (but within the capacity of the alternator,) you're going to pop the fusible link sooner or later, and you'll probably overstress the OEM lead as well.

Short form - if you want to take full advantage of your new, larger alternator, get a new, larger lead and a new, larger fuse (I do not advocate elimination of that fuse element in the circuit! The oldest vehicle I've worked on was made in 1956, and it had a fusible link wire in the generator output circuit. I've yet to see OEM wiring without it, and we have to assume that Engineering wins that argument with Accounting for a reason.)

@souske - hit me backchannel for your redesign - I've got something similar in mind for the refit on my 88 anyhow, and it's going to be far from the oddest project I've had cross my desk...

I havent upgraded my wiring (yet) after upgrading to a 136amp GC alt in my 2000. When this alternater bites the dust I'll probably buy a new 160amp Durango one since my brackets are already clearanced, those are the same size, right? I can't imagine the Durango one being bigger and still fitting, there isn't a whole lot of material left to take off on my aluminum bracket.

5-90, can you shoot me a PM with some different prices / recommendations? I'd like a full kit, including grounds. Maybe the price difference between the bigger and smaller size wires? Can you mix and match sizes depending on what the different loads on different wires is? I'd appreciate it a lot!

Back