• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID's Or HAlogen bulbs...

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
I know some of you run HID's on your rigs and maybe even on your non XJ's but as I have been waiting for mine to be repaired and sent back, I have been reading into how HID's are a no-no in most cars due to the light disbursement in a non projector housing. Also been leaning towards just running regular H4 bulbs in the non sealed headlamp housings that I have. I am also not sure what brand of bulb if any, to purchase when it comes to a brighter H4 bulb.

Your thoughts?

i had HID's in my mustang's stock headlight housing, and it really helped. not sure if anyone else in front of me felt the same though. lol i still have them, been thinking about putting them in the xj

Yeah, I hear about it bothering the other drivers but i'm a selfish bastard. Even when a car has super bright lights coming the other way, i just deal with it. I have em in the XJ too but the bulbs went bad and I am waiting for them to get back to me.

I had H4's in Big Bird.

Took the bulbs out and put Baja HID's in. Pointed the headlights down a bit to where it doesnt seem to bother cars around me.

It was a huge improvement.

The main problem with HID's is not the bulb being used in the housing. Its the cheap HID bulbs weren't manufactured to keep the light source in the proper location. If the HID bulb has the same distance from the base to the little "internal bulb" that actually generates the light as the H4 base to filament does....you shouldn't have any issues.

The main problem with HID's is not the bulb being used in the housing. Its the cheap HID bulbs weren't manufactured to keep the light source in the proper location. If the HID bulb has the same distance from the base to the little "internal bulb" that actually generates the light as the H4 base to filament does....you shouldn't have any issues.

I hear you, but most all of the Xentec ones are china made. Which I'm sure doesn't equate to a quality bulb.

I have the IPF H4 housings with cheapo xenon bulbs. Much better than stock. I figure when they go, I'll get some better bulbs. I still need to make a headlight harness too, but I'm lazy and mine work fine.

I plan on getting some good H4 bulbs when I quit being lazy and install my harness (I'm missing a plug so I've been lazy about figuring where the three wires go. :D). I had HIDs, but too many ballast issues turned me off from them.

I plan on getting some good H4 bulbs when I quit being lazy and install my harness (I'm missing a plug so I've been lazy about figuring where the three wires go. :D). I had HIDs, but too many ballast issues turned me off from them.

Yeah, im beginning to feel this way.

I don't understand why so many people have ballast issues. they don't like heat and they don't like getting smacked while they're energized, as long as you have them mounted securely they should last years. The set that is in my wife's car is going on 5 years old, the ones in my offroad lights lasted 4 years till the ballast came loose and went into the mechanical fan but that was my fault for poorly securing it :D I've only had 4 ballasts either bad out of the box or go bad over the 4 years i've been installing tony's kits... and it's been over 100 kits.

:dunno:

Back