• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel tank/pump swap question

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ

i've been trying to diagnose a hard start problem...replaced IAC, TPS, cleaned T-body, CPS is good, swapped in some cleaned/rebuilt neon injectors...finally realized i'm not getting pressure on start up which leads me to believe its a bad check valve common in these newer XJs. i know its perfectly driveable as is, but it's my DD and i'd rather not have to turn the key a few times to get pressure. SO my question is:

is there any reason why a gas tank swap (w/ pump assembly) wouldn't work? i found a guy on craiglist selling a tank w/ pump for $75...i know i run the risk of that check valve going bad, but $75 sure beats a few hundred on a new pump...i figured it'd also be a whole lot easier to just swap tanks versus installing a new pump... would there be any issues in doing this?

is it as simple as dropping my tank and putting the new one in or is there more to it?

Its that simple. Less than 2 hours if the bolts are rusty. If not rusty even less. You wont need any fancy tools. New Bosch from Rock auto is 315. That will cure the problem for years.
Ron

If you swap tank/pump, you still have a used pump. Which could have the check valve problem or worse.

If you're going through the work here, put a new Bosch fuel pump assembly in and be done with it.

If you can get the car in the air, there is really no reason to drop the tank. The access panel can be easily reached with the tank in place.

If there is no rust, its pretty easy.
The truth is there is ALWAYS rust, and its still simple but almost never easy.
Buy some PB Blaster or WD 40 any kind of penetating Lubricant and soak everything down the night before.

An new pump is Ideal, but money is money.

If you have the Gas tank skid plate its a bit more of a pain but still doable with basic tools. Best bet is have a good floorjack with you and a buddy.

If you do opt for the new pump take it slow and easy when installing the new seal. Make sure it sits in there very evenly otherwise you will be dropping that tank again really fast.

Back