• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard to Turn Left

Brent T

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the history.

A few weeks ago I had an E-Locker installed. At the same time I had the steering box replaced (stock) because I had stripped out some threads when I installed my new front bumper a couple days before.

When I first drove it after getting the locker and steering box installed I noticed it was sometimes hard to turn the steering wheel. It felt like it was hanging up/stuck or just a little "stiff". I chalked it up to probably some air in the power steering system due to replacing the box. It seemed to pretty much go away after a few days. Occasionally it would feel a little weird/stiff when turning, but I really just assumed it was air in the system or something with the E-Locker, maybe just normal since I'd never had one before.

The past week, it's gotten progressively worse. Right turns are no problem. Left hand turns at least half the time it's difficult or impossible to turn the steering wheel. I can really crank on it and get it to turn, but I can hear that hissing/squealing noise like when you're full lock and it won't turn any further. Usually it will finally release and I can go ahead and make the turn.

I jacked the front wheels off the ground and cycled the steering back and forth numerous times. Can't find anything binding. Turns ok in both directions with the tires off the ground, but with the vehicle on the ground it binds/sticks. I don't notice it when off-road, just on pavement.

I greased all ball joints, etc., removed the steering stabilizer, did an at home alignment inspection, spun both wheels by hand, wiggled/shook all pivot points and found no issues. I did notice the driver's side wheel is a little harder to turn in reverse direction than the passenger side, but not anything I'd consider to be an issue. I'm thinking the new steering box is bad?

Any other ideas?

i'd say box too. the fluid flows in and out of the same ports no matter which way the box is turning, so if you have good steering one way and not the other i dont see how it could be the pump. it sounds like something internal in the box is not right.

What else could it be but the steering box? Is it a used box, or a reman from an auto parts store? Either way, it's bad.

What else could it be but the steering box? Is it a used box, or a reman from an auto parts store? Either way, it's bad.

It's a reman from an auto parts store. What should I buy? PSC? New from stealership? Or ? ? ?

Since I got the E-Locker at the same time, I thought maybe it could have something to do with that and someone had a similar issue.

Sounds like I need a new steering box.

I have over hauled many (over a hundred) steering boxes. Lately most of the boxes that have been reman'd that I get are fubar'd/ Many don't have the right number of balls or the right mix of large and small balls. I even got one that didn't have the roller thrust washer.

I always recommend a quality rebuilt box from one of the aftermarket steering companies, like PSC, for use with larger tires. You'll be much happier in the long run and the cost difference isn't that much.

Back