• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ Fuel Pump

BulletMaker

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been getting ready to smog my XJ (again, failed LPEVAP test last time) and have been dreading pulling my tank to replace all the hoses fittings and the like, but figured it was a chance to correct a few issues. So one that cropped up after dropping the tank (I had been having issues with the fuel gauge not reading properly) well, I pulled out the sender/fuel pump, and this is what I found:

jeepFP1.jpeg

and:

jeepFP2.jpeg

I don't know what you're thoughts are, but something about there being a bunch of wire ties (the black bands) doesn't look right to me. I would definitely appreciate some advice on this matter, as I don't want to close this thing up with goofy parts inside.

I'm no help with the fuel pump, but before you get to far along, try cleaning the contact strips at the back of the instrument cluster. I figured that out a long time ago and later found out Jeep found the same and put out a TSB about corrosion on the contact strips.
I use a new pencil eraser to clean the contact strips. Then spray them with a quality contact cleaner. Seemed to really help the accuracy of my fuel gauge.

Back