• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BPB's Easter Snow Run - 4/7/12

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
After getting some miles on the Nail Salon's new setup, I was starting to get the itch to take it out on it's first shake down run. BPB was in a similar situation with the Quad Trail's MJ. We decided to head up into the snow on Saturday, and then camp out that night in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. It would be a small group of myself, BPB, Dellstopjeep, and BPB's buddy Casey.

We all met up at BPB's Used Car Lot Saturday afternoon to head out. Weather was gorgeous.
IMG_0056.jpg

Seeing the Quad Trails MJ on public road was a surreal experience.
IMG_0058.jpg

The drive out went fairly smooth. Quad Trail's was billowing out smoke the entire drive from a leaky oil seal. It literally looked like the truck was on fire going down the road. Like any shake down run there's always things to check/tweak. In this case BPB lost power to his gauges.
IMG_0061.jpg

Weather was great, and the views were better.
IMG_0063.jpg

After a short time on gravel we found the snow line. We received some fresh snow a few days before, so the tracks from the past had a few inches of new snow in them. We decided to air down here and see what trouble we could get into.
IMG_0064.jpg

BPB leading the way.
IMG_0065.jpg

Not long after progress basically stopped. I was at the back of the line, so I slowly got out of the tracks and made a pass to the front.
IMG_0066.jpg

Eric followed suit.
IMG_0067.jpg

Being locked front and rear, Eric and I lead the way. Running order is critical in the snow, and you find out quick what works.
IMG_0068.jpg

BPB and Casey making their way up.
IMG_0071.jpg

Progress was steady for awhile. Eventually I broke out onto the ridge side.
IMG_0074.jpg

Walked back down the road to see where the group was.
IMG_0078.jpg

After making some pressure changes they were on their way again.
IMG_0077.jpg

Regrouped.
IMG_0082.jpg

Continuing on, it's always fun traversing the snow drifts and melt off sections.
IMG_0084.jpg

I tried to break trail on the high side of this corner knowing as more rigs ran through it would slowly suck them in. Eric tested that theory.
IMG_0086.jpg

Pirate tires did a good job of sinking the Jeep to the frame.
IMG_0088.jpg

BPB was quick to offer a pull back.
IMG_0090.jpg

Group continuing on.
IMG_0093.jpg

Casey's Toyota (open/open on 30's) was working hard to keep up. Eric and I would make it a ways up the road, and then stop to regroup. You can see that I wasn't pushing too much snow. I was able to pretty much stay on top of the old snow, so progress was great. It's always a weird feeling being on top of a few feet of snow.
IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Eventually it was getting to be around 6:00. We decided to call it, and get everyone turned around. I think if we had an earlier start we could have pushed over the top without too much work.
IMG_0098.jpg

On the way down, Ben noticed he was basically running on his run flat. Turns out his bead was leaking. Props to Eric for bringing a floor jack.
IMG_0101.jpg

We headed back down the road, and found a spur road that had an awesome camp site right next to Copper Creek. Eric and I built an Eiffel Tower with Quad Trails.
IMG_0109.jpg

First flex test on the Nail Salon. While getting back in, my Jeep started to slip off Ben's tire. I had the door open at the time, and it got caught on Ben's bed. Basically my driver's door had the weight of my Jeep on it. I was able to reverse out of it, and much to everyone's surprise there was just a small dent on the bottom of the door.
IMG_0108.jpg

Successful return from a wood run.
IMG_0110.jpg

For a quick run without a solid plan, this turned out to be a lot of fun. Looking forward to getting back into the snow, and camping in some good weather.

OMG the quad trail mj is alive!

As always torx, great write up! Thanks for sharing

Back