• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Knock/Tap at idle-goes away with rpms

jamesonw23

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought my 2nd XJ a few weeks ago. It's a 99 with just about 60k miles. Everything runs great...excellent oil pressure, good temp readings for the stock radiator, etc. But I am trying to isolate this noise. It only happens when the Jeep has been running for awhile and is warmed up. Also, I can only hear it with the windows up and the radio off. It's like a tap tap tap noise which sounds like its coming from underneath the driver side floor or maybe a little further up. It does not matter if I'm in park, neutral, or whatever. As soon as I give it any gas, the noise goes away. It is intermittent as well. Sometimes it seems louder than others. Originally, I thought it was the flexplate bolts. Yesterday I took of the inspection cover but for some reason one of the big bolts faces the exhaust so I am unable to pull it completely out. I just slid my wrench up and checked the one visible bolt and it seemed tight. I may try and get to all of them sometime this week. But before I do again, any other ideas? Thanks

What do you mean they have an open slot? And what is the easiest way to turn the motor to get to all the bolts?
all you have to do is loosen the bolt that wont come out all the way and the cover will come off. turn the crankshaft by turning the harmonic balancer bolt as if you're tightening the bolt. a helping hand helps but it can be done by one person.

flat tappet cam, lack of zinc/zddp etc etc

:laugh::rof:

OP: Check all your motor mounts, tranny mount, and the transfer case shift linkage for any play.

Flat-tappet cam. I had drivetrain noise at about 70k. Had been running 5w30. 10w30 and it went away for a solid 100k miles.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Back