• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5" Super Ride RE lift install ADVICE!!!!

ethanbarnard

NAXJA Forum User
So, i have a 1997 XJ Country that I want to put this lift on: http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rubicon-express-re6020-superride-free-shocks-p-33.html
I chose this lift because although i want to romp around the desert in my xj, it's also my daily driver! This lift interested me because it says that it keeps the stock ride feeling to the car, and I think that'll be reallll nice:)

First off, besides what is included in the link, what else will i need? Im new to working on XJ's and this is gonna be my first build! I'm only 18, and real excited but also a little nervous that I am going to buy the lift and tires, then not have something i need and have to save up even more for another part...

This is what I am planning on getting:

* The lift kit featured on that page, comes with free shocks i think?

* 1 or 1.5" coil spacers for the front... maybe.

* 31" tires

* Maybe a 1" transfer case drop kit instead of a SYE and new driveshaft, figure it might be cheaper?? (Anyone have thoughts on that?? Advice? Will i even need it or will a 3.5" not give me drive vibe?)

ummmm i think thats all i got right now, what else will i need to buy?? (Oh and if anyone has the lift i mentioned above and wants to get rid of it, let me know!) PLEASE any advice is much appreciated!!!! Really getting into working on my Jeep, and I've just about got the money saved up for the lift and tires. Im in LongBeach, so when I do lift it if anyone wants to come wrench with me that would be MUCH appreciated:)

Thanks guys, God bless.

AND HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!!!!

You should be ok at 3.5 without a t-case drop or sye.I ran 3.5 for about 2 years with no issues, I'm now 5 and still don't have any bad vibes or anything. My advice is just make sure your u-joints are good in your driveshaft! There only about $15 each at the parts store and will make a world of difference. Other than that put it together and have fun.

Oh yeah, make sure your steering tie rod ends are good and your front end angles are all correct. Those two things gave me lots of vibes and issues.

Why would you need coil spacers? That kit comes with new 3.5" coil springs.

X2 with Jumpnjeep.
I have a 4.5 with no vibes. Though many will say its different because I have a 1990. Like Jumpnjeep said, check your U joints on the Drivesaft and as far as steering, check Ball bearings and Tie rod ends to avoid death wobble.
A longer pitman shouldn't be needed. Good luck! :wave:

Edit: I have the 1" TC drop kit.

Later model XJ's are more prone to vibes than earlier models.

My '99 vibed like crazy at 4.5" of lift, with a drop kit. Some later model XJ's have vibes with a 2" lift. My '90 had no vibes ar 5". If you research more, you willl find this scenario to be common.

A t-case drop kit is only a bandaide fix. Your driveline will be at angle and put more stress on your motor mounts. They will go out faster.

The best thing to do is budget for a SYE.

Beware of the statement, "You'll be ok."

I had to fix many parts because I listened to it.

For the most part, every Jeep will be a little different.

E

Hmmmmmm. So with an sye you have to get an extended drive shaft don't you? And how much more would that set me back?

A t-case drop kit is only a bandaide fix. Your driveline will be at angle and put more stress on your motor mounts. They will go out faster.

The best thing to do is budget for a SYE.

Beware of the statement, "You'll be ok."

For the most part, every Jeep will be a little different.

E

I agree with this 100%, the biggest part is that every xj is different. You won't know how good or bad it will be untill you put it together.

You have to take everyone's( including mine) advice with a grain of salt. But 3.5 isn't. Really high and you should be ok. I do emphasize SHOULD BE, I wasn't trying to say that 100% you won't find issues to deal with but that's every jeep out there. I have had my 96 for 3 years now and its a constant project of worn out parts and upgrades and lift mods. But to be fair and keep perspective, mine was a $400 CL find that was missing half of the vital parts so its to be expected. That's why I just say do what you can as you can and have fun with it, if you spend all your time trying to build the perfect XJ you'll never be done working on it and you'll never have any fun with plus when you do finally take it out and something breaks.... you will be pissed! Lol

Just have fun, and stay with Naxja this forum has been really good to me during my time on here. There is a lot of good people on here that will help you out with advice, work, and parts. I can't even begin to list everyone that has hooked me up with parts and advice from when I first started till now.

Awesome ok, thanks for all the great advice people!!! I was told by someone else to just save the extra cash and get a super flex kit with new leaf springs.. what's your take on that? Is the RE super ride a good lift or should i save the extra $$ and get a super flex? The super ride is only like 400 bucks, which i am realllyyy happy about, but the super flex is around the 1000 dollar mark.... don't know if it will be worth it for me!

for what its worth do a BUNCH of research and decide for yourself.
i have a 4.5 t case drop and no issues on my 92 but thats just me. my buddy has the same lift on his 96 and a t case drop and could use a sye.

i will say that if you go to a 3.5 BUY THE FULL LEAFS! man i wish i had at first i ended up buying them after my AAL failed on the 6th trip.

i love my RC lift but other peeps hate em. i like how stiff mine is.

i wanted OME but they didnt make a 4.5.

i dont see a 3.5 needing a sye but thats just me i dont do anything extreme so i dont feel i need one (however i did snap both my upper control arms at tds so theres that)

you can always start w a tcase and save for a sye up to you mang!

cheers!

All I can say is be prepared, I run a 3" lift on my 89. I thought my vibes were nothing to worry about. I killed 2 rear ends from the vibe. Now I'm running the transfer case drop. My rear end vibes are gone but I think the T-Case drop might have messed up my front driveline angle so I will probably switch to a SYE Hack and tap in the very near future.

Just a note...Rubicon Express kits do NOT come with shocks. You have to buy the separately. 4x4 groupbuy may include them as a value-add, but they don't come from RE.

Awesome ok, thanks for all the great advice people!!! I was told by someone else to just save the extra cash and get a super flex kit with new leaf springs.. what's your take on that? Is the RE super ride a good lift or should i save the extra $$ and get a super flex? The super ride is only like 400 bucks, which i am realllyyy happy about, but the super flex is around the 1000 dollar mark.... don't know if it will be worth it for me!

I spent $700.00 for just my rear springs, it's a slippery slope. :tears: $400.00 and You'll be out there having a good time, sounds good to me. You can always save for a few years and build a monster later.

stuff like this can be your biggest enemy, people who cant be bothered to fallow a simple link, and see that your lift kit is coming with shocks.
Just a note...Rubicon Express kits do NOT come with shocks. You have to buy the separately. 4x4 groupbuy may include them as a value-add, but they don't come from RE.

The link doesnt show a picture, but im PRETTY SURE, that comes with an AddALeaf (AAL) for the rear. i started off on an AAL, but they are not the best option. Going full leaf packs is best, as chances are your existing stuff is worn out. Adding a leaf only causes them to die that much sooner.

Yeah I think its AAL, I do want a full leaf pack then? My leafs are pretty worn down so I guess that makes sense. Don't the new leafs sit a few inches higher at first until they are broken in? And if I want to add spaces to the front coils to off set it and make the front a little taller, will I have to change anything else? Or do I just pop on the spacers and I have another inch and a half of lift up front?

Youve allready doubled the coil isolators (seen that in the pics). RE springs (coils, and leafs) are designed to not give any LESS lift than advertised, so if you dont have a bunch of heavy equipment, heavy bumpers, etc, you may get 4.5 out of a 3.5 spring, or similar results.

As far as jacking the front up more and more, at 3.5" your steering is preeety maxed out allready... have people ran stock steering? sure. but angles start to get high, and tie rod ends dont last long like that.

Also, trackbar, the re 3.5 should really come with an aftermarket trackbar and bracket, but does not. at 4.5" you really need that trackbar. Once again, high angles on stock tie rod ends = accelerated wear. It will also pull the front axle to the drivers side, due to having a stock trackbar thats now too short, bowing the coils.

I would definately spend the extra $ and upgrade to the adjustable length lower arms. I have some stock coil isolators you can have I think they are 1/2" thick. You may not even need to install them untill the new springs settle. You don't want to go much higher in the front as you will need an adjustable trackbar to bring the front axle back to center.

Back