• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random Rough Running

ebxjbob

NAXJA Forum User
Done a good amount of searching and I'm thinking my problem is either fuel filter or sensor( TPS,CPS) related but wanted to throw some detail in to see if anyone could help me narrow it down.

99 XJ 4.0 AW4 NP231 165,500 miles. Heres the deal:

Always starts easily, on cold start it will run perfectly. Once I turn it off, doesn't seem to matter for how long, it will start easily again but then after about a minute the idle will drop and it will start sputtering and spitting. If I immediately start driving after starting once that minute mark hits the idle will drop and I can put the pedal to the floor and it will stutter, spit, buck, and generally run like crap, barley moving. Sometimes it snaps out of this in 10 seconds sometimes its taken up to a 1/2 mile. Once it snaps out of it it runs fine again until I shut it off then the the process repeats. Check engine light has never come on.

Couple details: The muffler is original and it needs to be replaced it leaks pretty bad but the o2 sensors are newer and it had a full tune up 35,000 miles ago. Recently moved to Colorado where regular gas is 85 Octane, The Jeep has had 87 its entire life not sure if that or the massive elevation change could be causing issues. My first step is to run a fuel system cleaner and get a full tank of 87 octane and see what happens. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bucking and stalling is most often an O2 sensor issue. Test the O2 sensors. A faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor can cause similar symptoms.

Is your exhaust manifold cracked or have any exhaust leaks before the rear O2 sensor ?

standard.jpg

O2, CTS, CPS, or cracked manifold (and other failures) may or may not throw a code. That's why you inspect/test.

Back