• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

only runs with key turned full to start

Dulltip

NAXJA Forum User
This is one I have not seen before and wanted to bounce it off the experts here.

Parked my jeep after driving home from work without any noticeable issues. I needed to move some vehicles around in the garage about two hours later. So I jumped in turned the key to start and the jeep starts but dies instantly when I released the key. I try it a few times thinking it was just like the IAC or TPS issue I had a few months ago it wouldn't idle but ran. Nope, this was much different. This one dies right after I let off the key from start to just run. I decided to get the jeep into the garage if I could so I held the jeep key in the start position, slid it into drive and drove it right into the garage. Let the key rebound to the run position and jeep dies.

What do you recommend I start with?

Much appreciated in advance. DT

The question that comes to my mind is:
'What is different between "Start" and "Run" ?"

In the good old points/rotor days, the difference was a ballast resistor that would go bad and cause that exact symptom.

OBDI :dunno:

How about some basics?
In "Run" does the radio work?
Does the Fan work?
Does the fuel pump start/stop when you switch from "Off" to "Run"?

If all that works, then I'd be looking for some connection to the PCM that is made only in "Run".

Haynes manuals have schematics in the back that would help with trouble shooting the issue.

Don't know if this will help but my brother in-law has a 1990 xj and had the same problem. Replaced a bunch of stuff to find out it was a bad relay.

Start position - means full twist of the key clockwise in which the starter cranks over to turn the engine
Run position- after you start(crank over) the engine you let the key rebound off the start position because it's spring loaded and it comes to rest counter clockwise to the run state of the ignition (key) switch
Accessories position - is turning putting the key in the ignition and turning it counter clockwise and now only some accessories will function like the radio but the engine ignition is not on.

More on what I witness on the jeep.... yes the lights, radio, A/C, and such function as normal operation. I'll have to check on the fuel pump but to me is seems more that the spark side is being shut down instead of the fuel in how fast it reacts to the switch. But I'm not up on jeep fuel injection systems to be sure of that.

I'm leaning towards relay and PCM prior to posting and will be looking at relay first.

Anything else I'm forgetting to pass on that would help please let me know.

thanks DT.

Note from DJ

First thanks for your answers to WB9YZU question this is a great help.

Next this is information I had saved on the 94 PDS under the hood.
Hopefully it is the same as your 95, there should be ID information on the inside cover of your PDS center as well.
Try removing then replace the Auto Shutdown Relay a few times this will clean the contacts.
If that doesn’t work try exchanging it with the A/C Clutch Relay.
This is the link for 94 relay location that I have saved.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/illustrations/bl183a-lib.htm

Last edited:
Duh... where did that signature go....

1995 XJ Sport 4 door
Auto trans
4x4

The signature disappeared as you are a Forum User, not a Forum Member. Signatures are allowed for those the actually pay their dues and become Members...

To quote one of our more illustrious Members:
"If you want a signature, pay your dues"

Note from DJ

First thanks for your answers to WB9YZU question this is a great help.

Next this is information I had saved on the 94 PDS under the hood.
Hopefully it is the same as your 95, there should be ID information on the inside cover of your PDS center as well.
Try removing then replace the Auto Shutdown Relay a few times this will clean the contacts.
If that doesn’t work try exchanging it with the A/C Clutch Relay.
This is the link for 94 relay location that I have saved.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/illustrations/bl183a-lib.htm

We have a winner....!!! Well partial winner as I've found the problem to be two folded. I swapped the ASD (PSD) relay and A/C Clutch relay the jeep starts up and runs just fine. Swap them back it won't. I install new relay starts and runs twice. I then try to start it and nothing, no instrument panel lights, no radio, no door open buzzer.... nothing. Sitting there with the key still in the run position quite perplexed as this is yet an even different issue than any of the previous I hit the steering wheel in disgust and the instrument panel lights come on, door buzzer, starts up and radio begins to play. I go to turn the jeep to start and as soon as I touch the key all goes dark. I wiggle the key and it comes and goes. Taaadaaa... problem #2 is found. Well maybe #3 as I've always had the neutral switch give me fits after a day in the rough country. Being the jeep has now become the daily driver for my wife and I carpooling a new ignition setup as well a neutral switch is going to have to happen as I don't want to get that phone call from my wife it won't start without doing a special song and dance. Not looking forward to that neutral switch.

My XJ is upholding the saying... Just Empty Every Pocket....

Thanks for the help gang. Much appreciated. - DT

Back