• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another xj build thread

scsmxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to say hi to the XJ community here. I am fairly new to the jeep world, but am getting started on a 1995 4.0. I bought it all stock for 1K with 260k. I immediately replaced all the front balljoints, tie rod ends etc to get rid of the slop. Engine started ticking and the tranny was not shifting very well, so I decided to just pull it all. I have the motor all torn down and am starting a rebuild. I plan on boring it .060 over and doing the 258 Crank. I have started with the head and ordered new valves, valve springs, retainers and locks from HESCO. Nice stuff. Waiting to do the valve job and get the head together. Picked up some 24# injectors out of a ford taurus at the junkyard and got them all clean. Scored on a double roller timing set off of Craigslist. Also about to get a partial 4.5" lift for real cheap. Including upper and Lower CAs, shackles, blocks, adjustable track bar and hardware. Need to track down some coils and maybe leafs. Still have a long way to go, but its nice to be getting going on it. Im glad to be a part of NAXJA and plan and picking some brains!

Ill be posting some pictures as soon as I navigate the FAQs!

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0328.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0357.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Like I said, im just getting started. I plan on painting the whole motor "Cummins Beige." Have a baby on the way, so funds have been tight. Progress is slow, but it will come together eventually. I plan on doing a custom 3-link front and either 63s in the rear or coils and 4-link. This will long down the road. One step at a time....

Is that discoloring on the camshaft lobe #8 an oil issue? I'll guess that the oil was not changed regularly. Will the camshaft be replaced or not?
It looks about the same as a 4.0l that I just pulled apart that had just under 170k. Is there a reason for .060 over? I was hoping to do a .020, But the #5 piston left a gorge that may require a .030, Or maybe more.

It may very well have been an oiling issue, however everything looked extremely good for having a quarter of a million miles. The cam will be replaced with a comp cams 68-232-4 with the corresponding lifters as well as new pushrods. I am doing 60 over simply to up the displacement.

Back