• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D44 help

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have a HP44 that has been cut and narrowed. Its a great axle but im having some problems. The guy cut it down so it uses rubicon length inners and stock ford outters. The pass side shaft is hard as heck to pull out. You have to put a pry bar on the u-joint to pop it out, not alot of force just a little. But then the spindle get stuck on the outter shaft, and you have to slightly tap it off. Then when you put it all back together same thing, you have to tap the shaft to go in, and then tap the spindle on. Why is this? and is it a bad thing that I should be worried about?

And then the 2nd problem, the driver shaft has alot of play in it, in and out. With everything put together and set on the ground you can reach in and grab the u-joint and pop the shaft out about a half inch. When you do this it pops out the hub to. so its causing me to destroy hubs because its popping them out of place. Why would my shaft be doing this on this side? and what could be causing it? It cant be right because it destroying hubs.

The axle has brand new u-joints on both sides. and brand new warn full locking hubs. Well the hubs were new till I blew the driver one up over the weekend lol. But it did it before I blew it up.

I'm not all that familiar with locking hubs but I suspect there is a part missing or mis-installed in the hub with the play. The other one being a little tight would not concern me.

Does your outers have the thrust washer, oil seal, and slinger attached to them?
d44-outers6.jpg

Back