• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterpump Going?

LazersGoPEWPEW

NAXJA Forum User
So I was cruising around and noticed a puddle of green under the Jeep when I parked it at the offroad shop.

Threw some more fluid in because I needed to get home and didn't see a crazy leak coming down.

Get home and it looks like it's spewing from the waterpump, but stops when it cools down a bit.

Is the waterpump going or has it already gone?

suggestions? Radiator is fairly new and even was repaired recently.

I'm at a loss at what I should do since my mechanical skill set is somewhat limited....well diagnostically that is.

01 XJ 4.0L Auto All metal csf radiator.

When was the last time it was replaced? If not sure, then replace it. Otherwise, confirm if it is coming from the seephole on the pump itself. If not, check play in the pulley. If good, then pull it and clean up the surface area and replace the gasket.

Yea I have no idea when the pump was replaced last. Where is the seephole exactly on this thing? Is it easily visible. It was peeing in a straight line earlier so maybe that's it?

hole is located directly under the center shaft (where the pulley mounts) and behind the pulley-- tough to see, but if it's coming from directly behind the pulley, it's quite probably the H2O pump.

It looks like that's my issue. Ordered a Hesco high flow and new thermostat and housing. If I'm going to be messing with it might as well replace some other stuff. I think the seal is bad because it's only going nuts when the Jeep is hot.

It looks like that's my issue. Ordered a Hesco high flow and new thermostat and housing. If I'm going to be messing with it might as well replace some other stuff. I think the seal is bad because it's only going nuts when the Jeep is hot.

it better be made out of gold for what they charge for there stuff, you could of gotten a standered off the shelf pump that would of dont the exact same job for 30 bucks

X10 on what rob said, unless you have a motor that is running hot due to some big mods a higher flow pump is actually going to hurt your cooling due to the coolant moving through the radiator too fast to actually be cooled.

Return it, go to NAPA, get a new oem replacement pump with a lifetime warranty on it for 30 - 40 bucks and never worry about it again.

Plan on replacing the tube that screws into it for the heater core as well, they can be real hard to unscrew from the old one in one piece. Like 7 bucks from Dorman, rockauto has them. If you don't want to do that, measure the critical dimensions and buy two NPT pipe nipples (I forget diameter, want to say 1/2" NPT?) and an elbow and some PTFE thread dope and never need to buy a heater core water outlet tube again.

You'll need to remove the power steering pump (don't disconnect lines, just move it out of the way) and bracket. When re assembling, just get all the bolts started before you tighten any of them. If you tighten the bracket first, you probably won't get the pump bolts to line up.
IIRC, remove the driver's side fan & shroud, accessory belt, PS pump, PS bracket, water pump pulley, water pump & gasket material left on the block. In that order.
It may help to loosen the water pump pulley fasteners while the accessory belt is tight.

You can also check pump end play more easily with the belt loose.

Do your water pump, thermostat & radiator cap at the same time. If you are leaking coolant from that area, renewing your cooling system's wear parts isn't going to hurt anything.

Also: use some sort of thread sealant when you re install your heater cooling pipe & make sure you have it good & snug in the new one (not a full turn loose, not a full turn tight)

Best of luck.

X10 on what rob said, unless you have a motor that is running hot due to some big mods a higher flow pump is actually going to hurt your cooling due to the coolant moving through the radiator too fast to actually be cooled.

Return it, go to NAPA, get a new oem replacement pump with a lifetime warranty on it for 30 - 40 bucks and never worry about it again.

Mine was always running over 210 for some reason, so I think it's running hot. I had previously replaced the thermostat and radiator with the CSF 3row.

So question. Does anyone know how to properly drain all the fluid out of a CSF 3-Row? Is there a drain plug I'm not seeing?

So question. Does anyone know how to properly drain all the fluid out of a CSF 3-Row? Is there a drain plug I'm not seeing?
Disconnect upper and lower hoses. Stick your hose that you water stuff with at your house in the top and run water through it til its clear.

Finally got this thing fixed. No leaks! :) It's running cooler so far with just water and some flush. I'll update more when I throw some coolant in. I think I'm going to upgrade to the taurus fan too since I ended up breaking my mechanical shroud in the process of taking it apart. oops.

Back