• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

J Truck D60?

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
i have a HP44 and chevy flat tops that i need to follow up with a rear axle... i have large bearing spindles, for running an 8 lug pattern, but would not be opposed to swapping to small bearing to run 6 lug or ford 5 on 5.5.

tire size i plan to run is 35-37.

axles ive looked at and contemplated (for various reasons):
- full width 8.8
- 9"
- 14 bolt

one thing ive been staying away from is the 60, as most around me are beat to poo, and 30 spline. but i recently stumbled across a D60 from an old J truck. from the seller, its 5 lug, 35 spline, semifloat, and about 66" WMS to WMS. aside from not having pinion support like the 9" and 14 bolt, the pinion is offset by about 6", not centered. does this pose a problem? im worried about binding U joints. my XJ has the AX-15, so ive got a tad longer driveline, but not by much.

does anyone have any experience with these axles? the price for the housing is right, and there are some things i like about it. just dont know if its a gem or a turd.

All I've ever heard about J-truck axles is they suck. The always the option on a 60 outta the rear of a late model E250/350. A 14b with a shave is a simple and proven axle too.

sounds like the dana 60-2. those were not common iirc, 35 spline, semi-flote, 1.5" non tapered shafts, and are non c-clip axles. I hear the axle tubes aren't as strong as other comparable axles.

Same tube diameter as a dana 35 :shiver:

i use to have a 86 J20 with a dana 60 in the back. If i remember right it had a pretty beefy factory dana 60 that was full floating

sam (ktmracer419) runs a dana 60-2. it was out of an international truck though, not a scout. i'm sure he'll see this thread and chime in.

another vote for the D60-ISU.

I skimmed over the part where you already have 8 lug stuff.

I'd keep the 8 lug for WHEN you want a D60 and go for a D60-ISU.

I've posted enough good things about the axle. Best D60 rear out there IMO.

sounds like the dana 60-2. those were not common iirc, 35 spline, semi-flote, 1.5" non tapered shafts, and are non c-clip axles. I hear the axle tubes aren't as strong as other comparable axles.

dana 60-2, correct.

the tubes were measured at 2.5"... which sounds puny to me.

pass on it?

i have a 74 dana 60-2 from an unknown international

stock it was 30 spline,semifloat,5 lug, 62" wms-wms

tubes are definately bigger than 2.5" ill measure for ya when i get around to it.

I geared it, locked it, swapped in some 35 spline 6 lug alloys and disc brakes and been running it since 2007.

the factory 35 splines are pretty rare, but it was an easy conversion. i was gonna lock it and put alloys in it anyway.

Lockright? I thought your only options to lock that axle were an ARB or to weld it?

Magic.

ad4ddd88-1085-e956.jpg

I skimmed over the part where you already have 8 lug stuff.

I'd keep the 8 lug for WHEN you want a D60 and go for a D60-ISU.

I've posted enough good things about the axle. Best D60 rear out there IMO.
what years and vehicle should i look for with that axle?

All I've ever heard about J-truck axles is they suck. The always the option on a 60 outta the rear of a late model E250/350. A 14b with a shave is a simple and proven axle too.
this is the option ive been thinking lately, as there are a ton around.

i have a 74 dana 60-2 from an unknown international

stock it was 30 spline,semifloat,5 lug, 62" wms-wms

tubes are definately bigger than 2.5" ill measure for ya when i get around to it.

I geared it, locked it, swapped in some 35 spline 6 lug alloys and disc brakes and been running it since 2007.

the factory 35 splines are pretty rare, but it was an easy conversion. i was gonna lock it and put alloys in it anyway.
so, mounting width is shorter than i had posted? i was told it was 35 spline, but was not going to go on word if i bought it. they would have to be pulled and counted.

the offset didnt prove to be a problem for you.

there is more of a split on this axle than i thought. i was expecting, "avoid like plague!" like every other idea i get. lol. some seem to give it some merrit. the question remains...

for $100 without gears that i want or a locker... worth it for a housing?

Nah just go get a D60-ISU out of a 99-05 E250/350.

The 250s are semifloat with 35spline cclip shafts.

The 350s are full float with 32 spline shafts, but you can slide 35 spline shafts right in through the spindle (after you buy 35 spline internals).

Both have smooth bottoms, flanges instead of yokes, and disc brakes with an internal ebrake and twin piston calipers.

older E250 D60-ISU axles with drums work too if you can only find those, mine was originally a drum axle and has ruffstuff brackets and discs on it.

so, mounting width is shorter than i had posted? i was told it was 35 spline, but was not going to go on word if i bought it. they would have to be pulled and counted.

the offset didnt prove to be a problem for you.

the 60-2 is essentially a dana 44 with a 60 center and gears.

they came under lots of vehicles with quite a few widths.
i know they came under some internationals, older jeep trucks, and even some mopar muscle cars, and width and lug pattern/brakes definately vary.

mine is centered. and yours could very well be a different width.

Back