• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Several questions....please

1968 Charger B5

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 jeep cherokee... 4.5" rub lift/tracbar, crown sye, 99 intake, magnaflow exhaust, 8.25 and dana 30 with 4:10s on 31" BFG a/t....
Questions...
1. Have no reverse lights, replaced the NSS 3 months ago they worked for awhile, now same problem. It seems if i jiggle the shifter they may come on...

2. ONLY after a cold start, their is this whine noise coming from the engine bay, around front of the motor...when i start driving it tends to go away, the jeep drives fine, there is no power loss or gas mileage drop...i already retorqued the intake bolts just incase since i swapped to 99 intake few years ago, and also drained and refilled ps fluid...it is rather annoying sound...usually once it warms up the noise tends to go away, not always....it is a guarantee to be there after a cold start especially in colder weather...

You may have to adjust the NSS. Check and see if the index marks are aligned.

Playing around the belt area with the motor running can be dangerous. It is hard to tell which bearing may be dry and howling a little. I usually have the best luck finding a marginal bearing by removing the belt and turning them by hand, I can feel when things aren't right. Don't over tighten the belt or you may be replacing a water pump soon.

I've had XJ's with the AW4 trans have a little pump whine, on a cold start. Takes a few minutes until the fluid heats up some. Never seemed to hurt anything, I've had them do that for years and years.

Sometimes it is because the fluid is low, check it with the motor running, warm, after shifting through the gears once.

Power steering pump whine seems to be worse with old burnt fluid.

Back