• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new member and new xj owner needs help

frankrizzo

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone. just bought a 99 2 door xj 4.0 auto. i have a few questions so i decided to learn as much as possible by registering. so heres the thing, when i took the xj for a testdrive, i took it to auto zone for a free scan. 2 codes came up. p1698 and p1694. something about no pcm connection or something. the MIL light is not on and the jeep does start up and doesnt die out or overheat. i do have a misfire at idle as it stumbles but not during acceleration. again no MIL light up and it always starts right up. any help would be great. very excited to join the jeep xj community. i did look at other posts but their problems were a bit different. thanks in advance

Welcome to the site. One minor note, you're actually not a club member, but a registered user. Please take a quick look at the sticky at the top of the forum about forum supporters and registered users.

Welcome to the site!

I'd start with checking the distributor/points and plugs to make sure they are clean, and also hit the throttle body with some cleaner. Hopefully that will take care of the idle.

As for the PCM codes, make sure nothing is disconnected/corroded in the wiring. I'm unfamiliar with that code.

Those two codes relate to the transmission control module not talking to the PCM. If it's driving and shifting all right, I'd suspect a connector or wiring fault, or perhaps even just a glitch in the reading. But it doesn't sound like anything that would relate to a rough idle.

Back