• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye what to expect

i purchased a jy transfer case and instaled my sye on a bench and then swaped transfer cases.. looking back at it i would have just installed it on the truck... as for removing the t case there is only one way that i know of (if you choose to go that way). while your in the transfer case i would replace the shift pads or inspect them at least and inspect the chain.. chances are if you currently drive your rig daily and have a worn chain then you would know it... it makes a lotta noise.. good luck!

I just did an SYE in a 231, while your in there replace anything you think might be worn. The pads are $10 to $12, chain im not sure. I just found a transmission parts warehouse in Portland that I got all the seals, pads & chain along with a new input gear all for $140. While its on the bench, do it then.

If it's a full replacement output shaft, it's easier to pull the t-case and do it on a bench IMO... that way you get a chance to really inspect everything and you can replace any worn parts. If it's just a hack-n-tap style, leave it in the rig.

If you are taking it out and doing it on the bench might as well do a rebuild while you are at it.. not much left to do to get the other bearings and seals taken care of when you have the whole thing 3/4 apart already.

taking it out is easy.

6 bolts hold it to the transmission. a U-joint socket will help you here.

the linkage comes off easy.

Back