• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt patterns

wheel spacers are the easiest way to go but will put much more stress on your hub bearings and ball joints up front.

16" rubicon moab wheels are 5x4.5, the later 17" ones are the wrong pattern for the XJ (or zj inyour case ;)).

Yukon has a 5 on 5.5 front hub kit (the old Warn kit) that also comes with 30 spline stub shafts. Aftermarket rear axles usually come drilled for both 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5. You'll have to get your rear drums drilled for the new bolt pattern. A lot of expense just to change wheels.

anyone make 33 spline stubs? i could technically make a 33 spline unit bearing out of one from my saturn and one for the xj, keeping the 5x4.5 :D

Has anyone ever seen a D30 unit bearing fail in the spline area? It seems like 27 spline is enough.
didnt you just break one? that whole diameter would be larger, so you probably wouldnt have broken your stub shaft. oh, i get it. april fools :D

It used to be you could buy a Warn hub kit for the front D30 and convert to 5 on 5.5, but that is no longer an option. Spacers do it, but...they're spacers. You'll be wider, and forever have to watch the torque on the spacers.

In the rear, it's easy. Buy a set of aftermarket axle shafts and use the 5 on 5.5 holes when threading in the wheel studs. Then just re-drill your stock drum or disk rotor for the 5 on 5.5 pattern and you're good. Up front you could find a Ford HP axle, cut it down to about Waggy size, use waggy axle shafts, and have 5 on 5.5. It's a lot of work....

Or....I once saw a guy convert a YJ to passenger drop by putting in a Dana 300, then he put a wide-track CJ D30 up front, XJ 44 in the rear with aftermarket shafts and the previously mentioned re-drilling method. That gave him 5 on 5.5 That was a LOT of work...

The way I did it on my TJ was to scrap all the Jeep stuff and put Ford axles under it. Full-width HP 44 with a custom Ford RA setup up front and full-width 9" and a home built link suspension in back... That was an unbelievable amount of work....

Thanks guys but i dont want to redrill and set up camp by it lol if i do decide or come across any it with have to have the same pattern like someone from the N said alot of work just for wheels :anon:

Back