• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Cooler Q's

wheeling365

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 2000 XJ 4.0 AW4 231 on an OME 3" running 31's and 3.55 gears.

I want to tow with this on a regular basis pulling a small 4x8 or 5x10 trailer loaded with up to 3 dirt bikes and gear. In most cases it will only be one bike and gear. I live around Rauch Creek Off-Road Park and the area is all sorts of up and down hills.

I want to add an extra trans cooler but in all the reading I've done about it the only thing am sure of is mounting it in line with the factory one vs using it as a stand alone unit. (plan to run it inline with the factory)

What brands/models are others using? I've seen them with an external fan on some of them. I've seen some mount them in the grill which makes sense and others run them under the body closer to the transmission.

Ive got a B&M super cooler, it comes with a spal fan on it and 1/2NPT ports for easy conversion to AN-6. If you put any significant money into this project, replace the connectors at the transmission with AN-6 adapters. Part numbers are around if needed.

Thanks for the replys. I didn't think of going to the AN fittings but it sure sounds like a good idea. I assume the PN GreenMachine1 posted is for the rad connections. Has anyone had luck using the AN fittings coming right off the trans to eliminate the need to convert/adapt the factory steel line to AN under the hood?

XCM where did you mount your cooler at?

Ive done it both ways, AN lines all the way to a rear mounted cooler (its a jeepspeed outlaw project), and re-using the factory hard lines for 2/3rds of the run, IIRC, using the stock steel lines is more expensive, as you'll need 4 extra oem tubing adapters and the hose ends to go with them. Every extra hose end's add a significant price increase.

my jeepspeed outlaw, at the trans, with steel AN hose ends and speedflex line, and caps for trans service, so nice.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/1000141t.jpg/

Also no, the PN#'s green machine posted are for the tranny, shown in my first pic with silver dust caps on them. The pair will cost you about $20, its all the hose ends and hose that adds up.

Having actual, screw on, and secure fluid connections here, and at the fuel rail is one of my favorite workability mods, it really does make working on your jeep that much easier/more enjoyfull.

Sorry, but your on your own for converting the lines at the radiator.... i live in socal, and therefore dont need any trans fluid warming from the radiator. You are right to want to keep it though, since your east coast. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Keep in mind that I have a CSF radiator so your situation might be different but for the lower connection at the radiator I used a 3/8" hardline-to-AN adapter and the upper radiator connection is a standard 45 degree flare 5/8 thread So you need an adapter for that to convert to AN. I just finished messing with this project so if you have any questions, let me know.

Like XCM said, doing away with the quick connect on the fuel line is a good idea also if you are already messing with AN line and fittings. I spend a few extra dollars on fittings so I could get rid of the quick connect on the fuel rail.

Back