• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ID this component please

gundog

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on removing the heater core on my 96 cherokee 4.0L with A/C. During removal of the blower housing, I knocked a black rectangular component off the front of the blower housing. The component attaches to a copper tube that is embedded into the housing. There are two thin white wires inside the component that go into the blower housing. Looking at the Haynes manual, my intuition says this may be the air conditioning thermostat. Not sure though.

Can anyone help ID this? Bonus question: Can this component be replaced and roughly how expensive is it?

Last edited:
By your description I'd say you have have it right... I'm sure they can be replaced, they do fail occasionally, I have no idea how expensive it is. But you could get one from a local JY and it would be dirt cheap, I'm sure.

What you have is a "fin sensing cycling clutch switch"
Carefully insert /remove probe from evaporator core,,,,,

What you have is a "fin sensing cycling clutch switch"
Carefully insert /remove probe from evaporator core,,,,,

Thanks Wayne. How do I carefully insert/remove probe. Are the two thin white wires not attached inside and just pull out/thread in?

Thanks Wayne. How do I carefully insert/remove probe. Are the two thin white wires not attached inside and just pull out/thread in?

I was only reading from the FSM. Never had to do it (yet) on mine. I think they are referring to putting the probe into the evap core. The two wires plug in a connector -to the wire harness ?

Back