• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to XJ, got a couple questions..

Jk2xj1

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry guys if this is somewhat re-hashed noob questions..I searched a lot and didn't see what I need answered. I am somewhat new to my Xj, and a total noob on this forum. First a little background about what I am working on. I own a 1993 4 door Cherokee, 4x4, auto trans 8.25 rear. When I purchased it, the P.O. had installed a small RC lift (3" I think), the lift was really worn out from age.

I decided I would buy a few parts, and some new tires (old ones were worn bad); and upgrade the XJ. I've had other Jeeps (JK and CJ) and they were a bit different when lifting. I added a set of Rusty's 4.5" front coils, and their 4.5 full leaf packs in the rear along with 6* shims to correct the pinion angle.

Here is where the questions come in...

1) I didn't have any drive-line vibes or noise prior to moving to the 4.5 setup. I now know from searching and reading that at this height some extra work is needed but I need to know what to buy next to make it go away..I am totally confused. I see so many mixed reviews on which SYE or Hack and tap to purchase..also a rear drive shaft..I see so many options here as well. Money isnt a huge issue here, but I'd like something that will last and fix these noises and vibes. As of right now I hate hearing a slight grinding noise when I let off the gas at about 45mph ( I am assuming this is because the slip is about 1" out of the T case?). Anyways I am looking for a few more opinions on all this.

Sorry for the rambling on but I just didnt see exactly what I was looking for on the subject during the searches. Also..do I buy the shaft and SYE at same time? If so how do I know what length shaft to use?? I am confused!

ok for your driveshaft issue, a standard auto xj front shaft should be just fine (ala the correct length) the honest truth is there are alot of varying factors. what T-case you have being one.

you probably have an NP231. if i were you i would contact tom-woods and get him to send you an entire system link

Ahh yep, forgot to post what T case..yes it is the NP 231. I am gonna check out the Tom Woods stuff...is any brand SYE kit particularly better than another?

Last edited:
yes, so does iron rock offroad and a few others

with tom woods you are going to get a NEW shaft, with the other guys you end up with spraypainted old shafts with new u-joints

I have a 4.5 lift on my rig with a AA sye. Not a fan of h&t rather have a new tailshaft and be done right. I used the front ds from a grand Cherokee. A had a front ds from a XJ but only had about a inch or inch n a half of travel before it maxed out. So i went with the ZJ front ds and its perfect. Ordered the dye from AA and the ds from junk yard. Had about 280 in everything. Tax, shipping and all

Just ordered an AA SYE kit over the phone, and headed to the local Pull A Part this weekend to hunt a ZJ shaft for it. Thanks for the advise guys. I am certain I'll have more questions soon !

Just ordered an AA SYE kit over the phone, and headed to the local Pull A Part this weekend to hunt a ZJ shaft for it. Thanks for the advise guys. I am certain I'll have more questions soon !

Ok so I went down to the local Pull-A-Part this morning and found a couple ZJ shafts. Sad thing is they were all in 4.0, auto ZJs. Don't I need one from a V8 model for it to be long enough to work as a rear DS?

Back