• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3/8" Self tapping bolts

Johnnie Walker

Piece of Fish!
NAXJA Member
Where is the best place to purchase them? Since I do not alreay own a tap. Figured this would be easier. Got a pair of custom/homebrew sliders, and I need some self tappers to bolt to the "frame". I only need 4 of them, I know that items like these usually come in a slightly larger qty, and am okay with that. I know that JCR has a 'slider hardware kit' but only need these and not all of the bolts. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Really? I didn't see poop on their site. There is not one nearby me. Anyone care to pick some up and mail them to me? (=

I do have an ace loca, but from what I head read online they do not have them. I guess it depends on the specific location tho.

Last edited:
I started with self tappers for my sliders and I didn't feel secure enough about that idea, I ended up welding them solid. I still need to weld them to the pinch seam

a tap is cheap and can be gotten at home depot or wherever.

X2. I used self tappers years ago on my first rock rails, and never again. Taps are cheap and give cleaner results. Self tapping bolts were hard to find when I needed them.

When I installed my JCR's, some of the 3/8" self tapping bolt didn't take correctly and wouldn't torque down tight. Ended up using regular 7/16" bolts and tapping the hole. Worked out better for me, plus those self tapping bolts are impossible to find.

I know 4wp in compton has them in stock. They are a smittybilt item. Olympic 4x4 products in commerce also uses them. However its best to get a good tap. Self tappers are hard to get a good clean tap job done.

it's only going to get one thread in that sheetmetal anyways, so best to make it count. get a tap.

The sliders that I have mount the the pinch seam, front of the rear leaf spring box, and to the frame.

My local Ace only has up to 1/4" self tappers. They had a 3/8-16 tap for 6$, so I picked it up.

Could of just drilled a smaller hole and used sheet metal screws...

I haven't done anything yet.. except just bought the tap

Back