• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just intalled Gen Right 25 Gallon tank(its bigger then 25) and aussie front locker

RaiderX7

NAXJA Forum User
So I finished installing the Gen Right 25 Gallon tank. First off the tank is very well crafted. It looks so good you almost don't want to install it. Despite what they say it is not bolt in. Well not for a 1999 at least. The tank does away with the straps and bolts in using the skid plate and 4 mounting bolts. The front 2 mounting bolts lined up great. But the back too had to holes to attach too. So I had to drill 4 holes (2 on each side) and then I had to drill 4 more on the side of the frame rails to access the holes I drilled so I could slip in some nuts. Well after all that then I ran into the next problem. There was no way I was getting the filler neck hose on, It was way too small. So I had to drop the tank and install in the hoses on the tank first(lubed them up with Vaseline). That was bitch but got that then raising the tank with the hoses attach was another bitch but I ended up getting it. Well then the hoses where too long. So I cut them down to fit. All in all it wasn't to much of a pain in the ass to install but deff not bolt on for me. Now the good. The tank is actually bigger than 25 gallons. So I installed the tank dry. I drove to the gas station with my other vehicle and filled up a one gallon gas tank. Put it in the jeep and then drop the jeep like 60 feet to the gas station. I then pre paid a $100 bucks thinking I was only going to put 24 gallons in it. Well the pump stopped not because the tank was full but because I hit $100. which was 25.16. So right now I have 26.16 gallons in it and there is still room. The skid plate is super beefy and all in all I'm pretty please with the tank. It doesn't take any extra room at all.
Also installed a aussie locker. Pretty easy to install. Haven't tried it off road yet. More to come on that.

I was interested in getting a larger tank until I checked out their price. On sale it was $800.

That's really not too bad of a price for a bigass custom fabbed gas tank. Not that I'm going to buy one, but go check out prices for custom fuel cells for other cars. TJ tanks are almost that price and they are way smaller.

Yup, if it fits your needs/wants, it's an excellent product. What I love about the Genright tank is that you have the extra capacity, very low slung, as mentioned, and everything looks stock.

For me, a Nato-style 5gal jerry can has always served my needs. At around $50.00, given to me by my wife as a gift, it wasn't "cheap", but certainly reletively affordable compared to a long-range tank. I've had it about 10 years now, and it works as well now as it did when she bought it for me. It's due for a nice paint refresh, but the nato-style closure with pin has proven to be very, very robust.

Also, with multiple fuel containers, I don't have to worry about loosing all my fuel out of one, due to damage.

Also, also, now that I have a camp trailer, the extra fuel doesn't ride on the jeep, which lightens it's load by about 50lbs.

I was contemplating on a larger tank also...not for that $ though.I did the mod to raise the vent and adjusted the float to match,I now can put in 24 gallons when my light comes on.

Fuel tanks are not fuel cells, so there should be a large price difference. You can buy a brand new 42 gallon suburban tank for $113 shipped on ebay.Yes you get a skid plate and no its not a stock tank, but $800 for 5 gallons of extra capacity is very expensive.

Fuel tanks are not fuel cells, so there should be a large price difference. You can buy a brand new 42 gallon suburban tank for $113 shipped on ebay.Yes you get a skid plate and no its not a stock tank, but $800 for 5 gallons of extra capacity is very expensive.

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GST3003

But in this case, they are pretty damn close. The GenRight tank is a full tig welded custom aluminum tank designed to fit an XJ, not just a plastic drum like the stock piece, or a suburban tank. Of course a stock tank is going to be cheaper, especially mass produced. Plus it has a custom fit skid plate that would run at least $200 by itself.

Now compare that to the TJ tanks. If you want 5 gallons extra, it's 1000 bucks for that tank. You want to run bigger tires and stretch the wheelbase? $900 for that tank, but only stock fuel capacity. Since they probably sell a ton more TJ tanks than XJ's, I'm surprised the XJ is cheaper, but I'm sure they just want to get rid of their supply.

There are alsoalot more guys dumping cash into tj's. You can buy a brand new 26 gallon fuel cell from summit racing for $264. Steel tank with plastic bladder. You can buy a plastic fuel cell, 22 gallons same width as the stock tank, 3.5" shorter in length(to accomadate that rear stretch), and 3.5" shorter in height(so you can tuck it up and not need that $200 skid plate) for $129. The average xj is only worth $3000(blue book on a 97 with 150,000 miles), can't see 1/3 of the vehicles value spent so I can pass a couple of extra gas stations between fill ups.

Transfer Flow has great deals on their tanks/cells.

I wouldn't pay 800 bucks for 5 extra gallons. It looks to be a very nice tank but for me it isn't the best bang for my buck. If we were talking 10 or more gallons over stock then I could feel alittle better for 800$. But not for 5.

Markaboo929= I have a plastic tank and cant do that mod

Zachandandy= It is pricey but it’s also nearly bolt on. I had to drill 4 holes. I could have gotten a fuel cell cheaper but then I would have to fab it up and everything. Plus this fits my needs perfect. I do allot of long driving. I am in the military and go TDY often. The more I can hold means the less stops at gas stations in the middle of nowhere and makes long drives easier. The tanks not for everyone but it work for me. I love the fact that i can hold 8 more gallons and not take up any more room then stock. Once bolted up you can’t even tell it from stock.

bails85= not sure if you actually read the post! The tank is about 28 gallons.

There are alsoalot more guys dumping cash into tj's. You can buy a brand new 26 gallon fuel cell from summit racing for $264. Steel tank with plastic bladder. You can buy a plastic fuel cell, 22 gallons same width as the stock tank, 3.5" shorter in length(to accomadate that rear stretch), and 3.5" shorter in height(so you can tuck it up and not need that $200 skid plate) for $129. The average xj is only worth $3000(blue book on a 97 with 150,000 miles), can't see 1/3 of the vehicles value spent so I can pass a couple of extra gas stations between fill ups.

Don't believe I've ever seen anyone put a fuel cell in place of the stock tank on a TJ. They are usually smaller cells in the back cargo area. Or custom GenRight tanks...

And with your logic, nobody here should mod their XJ. I bought mine for $5k four years ago and I know I've spent at least $10k on mods. Does it make sense to spend 1/3 of the vehicle's value on a locker or a lift kit? Some people go on long drives through the desert, so they need the space just like you might need a locker to go over a rock.

Not too surprised you had issues. About a year or so ago, I called Genright because the website clearly stated 84-96 only. I asked if there were plans for the 97+ and was told no...

Interesting that the website claims fitment for 88-02 models years now.

Strange stuff there. A bigger tank would be nice for the highway though...

Not too surprised you had issues. About a year or so ago, I called Genright because the website clearly stated 84-96 only. I asked if there were plans for the 97+ and was told no...

Interesting that the website claims fitment for 88-02 models years now.

Strange stuff there. A bigger tank would be nice for the highway though...
Even more interesting that they are showing it on a 97+ on their website... :confused:

Back