• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Search here yielded three gazillion threads...

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
So I'll just post an easy question.

Overheating on a hard pull or when running the Jeep hard but NOT overheating at idle or flat driving is usually a clogged system?

No leakage around the water pump and the tstat is brand new.

Did not replace the rad cap. Could that be it?

I can drive around for hours with no problem. I can climb te steep mtn coming to the house with no problem. But once I start getting aggressive the thing goes off like a tea kettle.

The cap is a good start. They recommend replacing the cap about every two years. If you don't hold pressure, you will tend to lose cooling and slowly lose coolant.

I have been losing coolant. Hasn't been going into the oil. Yesterday on the Blue Ridge Parkway I had a stroke when I saw whgite smoke in my rearview mirror. When I stopped it was a gusher of coolant coming out of the overflow tank and splashing on the engine.

I was slowly loosing coolant and would only overheat climbing a hill. It was a cracked head. Do a "block test". NAPA sells a kit and it checks for exhaust gasses in the coolant, which is an indicator of a cracked head or blown headgasket. I never had coolant in the oil.

I was slowly loosing coolant and would only overheat climbing a hill. It was a cracked head. Do a "block test". NAPA sells a kit and it checks for exhaust gasses in the coolant, which is an indicator of a cracked head or blown headgasket. I never had coolant in the oil.

Although you post makes me cringe with fear I appreciate the help. I'll check on the NAPA kit. Anytime I have a vehicle overheat I get the cracked head/headgasket willys and they make my skin crawl. :(

Was the white smoke from the exhaust pipe? Or the leak?

Back