• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torx bit size dana 30 backing plate

the backing plates are held on by the unit bearings, are you talking about the 3 12 point bolts holding the unit bearing on? you just need a 12 point 13mm socket to take those off.

Hint: if the heads are rusted or rounded a bit and the 13 is a loose fit, use a 1/2 inch 12 point socket instead. It's just enough tighter to make a difference sometimes, but not so tight you have to hammer it on hard.

Hint: if the heads are rusted or rounded a bit and the 13 is a loose fit, use a 1/2 inch 12 point socket instead. It's just enough tighter to make a difference sometimes, but not so tight you have to hammer it on hard.
the socket set i have is made that way 1/2" = 13 MM and so on..dual purpose sockets:laugh3:

Who needs backing plates?

I use them to slash my hands open with their razor sharp, ragged, rusted edges.

I have never, ever put a dana 30 dust shield back on :D

the socket set i have is made that way 1/2" = 13 MM and so on..dual purpose sockets:laugh3:

13m/m = 13m/m

1/2" = 12.7m/m.

There are "sister sizes" between SAE and ISO, but they're almost never exact. Knowing which one is up or down from the other can make a difference - but if you screw it up (or if the toolmaker screws it up for you,) you can end up with a lot of extra work.

I know 0.3m/m doesn't sound like much - but it can make all the difference in the world!

Back