• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

final checklist before wire/alternator upgrade

doped304

NAXJA Forum User
I have been researching till I'm blue in the face on this and just wanted to make sure I've got all my ducks in a row.
I have a 1999 4.0 xj with a single post pdc with a 13 mm bolt.
I also have plenty of 0 gauge with all of the necessary terminals/lugs
I plan on running a 03 durango 5.9 180 amp alteranator.
From what I understand this should be a plug and play, all of the articles I read hinted that 99 was a transition year as far as wiring for the alternator, but this seems like my best option.
I'm unclear on what I need as far as a anl fuse setup, does someone have a link for what I need. I will have to order one because I can't find one local. Is this due to the fact my new alternator output will be greater and smoke my pdc? Also what is the green wire Hooked up to my pdc? Am I fusing the green or red wire on the pdc? Will the anl just plop into place of the stock setup?
Just wanted to get a clearer pic of what needs to be done so I can order the right stuff the first time. Also everything seems to be written up for the 00-01 and I was unsure if my 99 fell into that catagory.

The green wire is the factory fuseable link, When you have higher alternator output you have the potential of burning the link. So you put the ANL fuse in line with your new wire going from the alternator to the PDC. I used a housing kit for it, but I have also seen people add in another blade terminal thing at the end of the PDC and fit it there... Its not really plug and play but not hard... alos to fit the alternator will take some clearencing of the mounting brackets... and 0 gauge is entirley not need, so unless its free go with 4 or 2 gauge, I used 4 because it was free...

You can just see the ANL housing kit I used...
IMG_20110913_102753.jpg

Man a pic is worth a thousand words in this case. I actually have a car stereo style fuse holder like youused somewhere in my train wreck of a garage. I was caught up on finding one that fit in the factory location. So my power wire replaces the factory green from the back of the alternator through my anl audio style fuse holder right to the factory post and then to the battery, correct?
Where is your other wire going to off your positive terminal, starter?
What size fuse should I get for the 180 amp, 200 or 225?
Yeah 0 gauge is way overkill but I got it for a steal from a totalled car on Craigslist.
As far as not being plug and play for the alternator what will I have to do different? I looked at the Durango alternator online and it looks to have the same connections but then again I don't have it in my hand.

Yes alternator> anl fuse> PDC post> battery. The other one off the battery is too the starter. I can't remember what size fuse I used, but you would want it just over alternator output.

For the alternator I didnt use a 03 durango one, I used part number: 56027913 which is a 136 amp, all connections were the same but the case was slightley larger and requiring the bracket to be grinded a bit out. My jeep is a 98.

Another good mounting spot for the ANL fuse block is on the open space on the sloping part of the cowl/firewall just below the hood. 200 amp fuse for a 180 amp alt sounds right.

The green wire is the factory fuseable link, When you have higher alternator output you have the potential of burning the link.

Im doing the ZJ 136a swap right now. I took the alt-->PDC wire from the donor ZJ as well. It is thicker gauge but the fusible link look to be the same gauge as my XJ one... Will this be ok to use??
I figured that the factory installed it in the ZJ to handle the load so it must be good. The more wires I snagged from the donor save me $$ as well! :)

Back