• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA legal front pipe replacement.

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
so has anyone found a CA legal front pipe replacement for the renix that doesnt have the crimp in them? all i am finding is the Walker replacement pipe, and it has the crimp and nasty wrinkled bends. (just like the factory)

Just go to an exhaust shop and have one made. I know a shop here in Pasadena and one in Van Nuys. That I recomend to all my friends as reputable and reliable. Your kinda far, but worst case I have a buddy with 2 renix era xj's I could have one made and train/ship it to you. On your two dimes of course!

Agreed, I'm pretty sure the downpipe isn't emissions restricted.

I picked up a Borla header for my renix that came with a 2.5" non crimped downpipe. I hear they are discontinued now though?

Grab a header you like, a 2.5" cat and muffer you like, and then let your local exhaust shop do the work. At my shop, $200 out the door.

headers most definitely have to be carb legal, just throwing that out there. not implying that you suggested otherwise, just making sure he knew. no EO number, no smoggy, unless the smog guy doesnt look.

Indeed. I didn't state that because I know he already knows that. :)

They almost never look at headers on our older XJ's, but its important to be legit just in case.

Indeed. I didn't state that because I know he already knows that. :)

They almost never look at headers on our older XJ's, but its important to be legit just in case.
yea, just used to getting the 5th degree with my Mustang when i took it in, so i'm probably paranoid haha

although they did go over my van pretty thuroughly last time i smogged it... which is weird because, well, it's a work van.

I've had my renix XJ fail twice for no check engine light when you turn the key on.

It all depends on what idiot is working that day.

I've had my renix XJ fail twice for no check engine light when you turn the key on.

It all depends on what idiot is working that day.
there's a couple places around here that charge a little more, but it always seems to pass. the cheaper places seem to try and make it fail.

one time i dropped my car off at a shop and they called me back and told me it failed because the timing was like 16 degrees off and all the numbers were through the roof. they kindly offered to adjust the timing for me for a nominal charge of $30, but i refused since i had a timing light at work and i didnt believe it could be that far off and run fine. So i picked the car up and needless to say it still ran fine, just as before. i took it back to work and checked the timing. It was spot on. I knew something was up so i took it back there and ripped them a new asshole for trying to rip me off. they obviously denied it, and i demanded that they retested it while i watched because if they truely didnt mess with it then the numbers would be the same, but i bet you could guess that they were completely different. pretty sure a good few of these guys are scum bags.

well the reason i am doing the exhaust is that it didnt pass smog. running super rich, so much so i could smell it pulling into the shop. i knew it wasnt going to pass. but it was the last day for registration so i tried just for kicks. no pass, so i just paid the registration and brought it home. i fixed the rich problem (mostly just a bad TPS) and bought a new muffler (old one is rusted through) and a new CA legal cat knowing that the rich mixture no doubt clogged the old cat. when the smog guy ran the test he said my cat needs to be replaced, and that even if it burned clean the numbers are not current. i hate CARB. the only CA legal cat available for an 89 XJ has 2.25 inlet and outlet. how you are getting away with a 2.5 on a renix i would really like to know. my new muffler has 2.25 inlet 2.5 out, so i need to get a new tail section aswell since the old one is 2.25 and totally rusted to heck. i see Rusty's sells a mandrel bent 2.5 tail section, and will most likely go with that. for now i will just use the stock down pipe i guess, and see about making a mandrel bent one later.

Just put a turn down on it and call it a day!
Mine has the turn down just forward of the rear axle, you should have seen the smog guy last month when I renewed my Reg. It was funny as hell watching him look for how he wanted to stick the sniffer in and keep it clear or the wheel and rollers!

well the reason i am doing the exhaust is that it didnt pass smog. running super rich, so much so i could smell it pulling into the shop. i knew it wasnt going to pass. but it was the last day for registration so i tried just for kicks. no pass, so i just paid the registration and brought it home. i fixed the rich problem (mostly just a bad TPS) and bought a new muffler (old one is rusted through) and a new CA legal cat knowing that the rich mixture no doubt clogged the old cat. when the smog guy ran the test he said my cat needs to be replaced, and that even if it burned clean the numbers are not current. i hate CARB. the only CA legal cat available for an 89 XJ has 2.25 inlet and outlet. how you are getting away with a 2.5 on a renix i would really like to know. my new muffler has 2.25 inlet 2.5 out, so i need to get a new tail section aswell since the old one is 2.25 and totally rusted to heck. i see Rusty's sells a mandrel bent 2.5 tail section, and will most likely go with that. for now i will just use the stock down pipe i guess, and see about making a mandrel bent one later.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-53006/

I run that cat and have for a long time. To the best of my knowledge the new restrictions start with 1991 and OBD.

well as much as i would love to run that cat and make the entire system 2.5, that cat is not 50 state legal, and it is not listed for jeep application. so i dont want to chance spending that kind of cash on it only to have the smog guy tell me no way. i wish and hope you are correct about the new restrictions only apply to OBD. i will have to look into that. but so far all the indications point towards the 89 still under the new laws, and the only legal cats are 2.25. universal and direct fit.

If you aleady have/find the other parts, just find a good local exhaust shop that has a mandrel bender make you a downpipe. Maybe have them add a flex pipe in the mix.

actually there very few, if not zero mandrel benders in so cal. and i have never seen a muffler shop with one. larger companies like borla, dynomax, banks, ect have invested in them, but they have a national/international sales and can make that investment pay off. muffler shops use regular tube benders designed for exhaust pipe. they still crimp, but most do not leave the ripple type crimp in the bends. that said, even a regular muffler shop bender can make a much better down pipe than we have. but they also charge you for it.

see what i mean? even they advertise that they are one of the only to have a mandrel bender. good to know about that shop though, thanks cal. but for the jeep, it is not cost effective to trailer it down their for something that is not that important on a stock jeep. cutting out that bad crimp and welding in a better piece would be easy and much much cheaper. if i was installing an aftermarket or hand made header onto a stroker motor and needing that type of exhaust, i may drag it down there. but thats not the case here. just thought i would ask if anyone was making a pre bent piece that can be purchased and bolted in. i know rustys is selling the tail section at 2.5' that is mandrel bent, and they want $100. not too bad actually. they can do that because they have the data stored in the computer and the bender can just whip them out. to have this orange county shop make one i am betting would cost much more. would be interesting to see how much though. i may give them a call.

wow, just called them and they would make the front and tail section 2.5 mandrel bent for $320. not bad at all. i didnt ask about 2.25, but i bet about the same. for you guys with strokers and headers, you might want to think about it.

yes that is the plan. i may try and wash the inside of the old down pipe, and use the tail section from my 87 parts jeep. my tail section is completely rusted, with holes, and very sooty from it burning so rich. i want to start with a clean exhaust system when i go smog it. but ya, the 2.5 outlet of the muffler will just get reduced to 2.25 for the stock tail pipe.

Back