• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering

bonesxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to upgrade my steering system and was looking at the Rustys steering converion kit. Does anyone have this system and if so what do you think of it. Good-Bad. Should I look at something different..

If you need bolt on, the Currie is the only (good) choice. If you're willing to do some fab work there are more choices.

I have the same amount of lift with the stock steering stuff and running 33'' with a Dana HP 30. Is Rustys a heavy duty system or not, also looking at JRC One ton sysyem. It is just a money thing and it looks like the JRC will cost about $100 more after everything is done. i.e. buying a reamer and higher price to start. Is it worth the extra 100 ? or should I look at something eles

Get yourself a 1ton setup from JCR, Serious offroad, The only thing you'll need to do is drill & ream your knuckles but it's well worth it IMO.

Rusty's has a long standing reputation for mediocre products that are prone to failure, extremely high shipping rates to offset his low prices, and poor customer service.

JCR is just the opposite, good products, good service, although many feel their steering has a dead spot that is annoying.

As Goatman said, without getting into really custom, the Currie setup is probably the best option.

Eliminate anything inverted T from your list of choices, and go from there. Inverted T only works if you have true high steer, like d44 or d60 with the steering arms on top of the knuckle. Anything else and the more severe angle of the drag link will cause a dead spot.

Currie is good until the lift is really tall. Virtually all Jeepspeed cars have the Currie steering. The joints are pre-bent so the joint sits at neutral position at ride height, and the parts are strong. Simple, and it works. You can design a steering setup with higher clearance and better angles if you're willing to do the work, but the Currie is hard to beat.

Rusty's tie rod is made of DOM tubing, which is good. But it uses stock tie rod ends, which is bad. I've gone through two Big Daddy tie rods. Strong tubing, but uses stock tie rod ends. One of my tie rod ends is bent, but I can't remove it because it and the tie rod galled. Completely seized. This has happened to me twice now, even though I used a lot of anti-seize both times.

Back