• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Took a stab at building a front bumper

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
All started with a few templates
7663008f.jpg

0ce0dac6.jpg

I cut them ground them and drilled them from 1/4" plate
958c91f0.jpg

573b89d1.jpg

Had some 3/4"x 2 5/8 flat strap and cut and drilled them to fit a 3/4" d ring
0f5b504c.jpg

Brace installed
5f0e15d5.jpg

Started with just 2x6" .120 wall square tube
6d225a58.jpg

I didnt want it to warp when I welded It up
28f72550.jpg

Cut the holes for the d ring mounts
7e3eac85.jpg

Welded them to the front back and bumper mounting bracket
acde17ae.jpg

Cut and bend the corners for clearance
4635d47f.jpg

Cut and folded it to the contour of the front end
159ed196.jpg

Before paint
933f3ca3.jpg

Finished, I'll mount it and take pictures tomorrow
fe0ac5ff.jpg

It took me 2 weeks to build after work working 4-7 on it, i thought it came out pretty good for less than $80 in material,ill test it's strength this weekend.
I was going to build corners to it but decide last minute that the were not that important :)

What do you think? Opinions welcome.

nice, looks a lot like the ones i made. i put a 2" reciever in the middle though.
also, i windowed out the back quite a bit where it didnt structurally matter, saved a bunch of weight. got it down to about 35lbs.

Why is it so far out from the grill? Why build a park bench when you could ofmade a high clearence piece

Why is it so far out from the grill? Why build a park bench when you could ofmade a high clearence piece
Because he's in Southern California, and it's a damn nice day to sit in the park. :D

but yea, i probably would have moved it in some. here's mine (and even this should have came in some). dont mind the bungee cord, it was holding on the vac canister until i figure out where i want it. the brackets are for my tow bar, and there's a reciever in the middle of the bumper.
both bumpers are made of 3/16x2x6
7003161347_6a1cea7d7f_z.jpg

i got it a little better for the back bumper. it's definitely not in my way at this point.
6857041742_380210a534_z.jpg

It sticks out so far so when I mount HID lights I have room... Also I might add to it later with a winch mount. Also have the idea to do the rigid D2 duallies mounted inside the bumper and I don't want to not have enough room
13100e45.jpg

7ed9a7df.jpg

Because he's in Southern California, and it's a damn nice day to sit in the park. :D

i got it a little better for the back bumper. it's definitely not in my way at this point.
6857041742_380210a534_z.jpg

I do rear bumpers too buddy ;)
0f93c53b.jpg

I then made it into a swing away later.
6c622f3e.jpg

I also do sliders... I'm a built not bought kind of guy.
0937a5e0.jpg

Your stuff looks good but I built my stuff with a purpose behind it.

The only problem I see is that you still used the stock 3 bolt holes. Why did you not just fab the other mount longer and tie it into the bumper. I would not trust to be pulled out of mud or up a hill with only 6 bolts. I understand that you are spreading the load of the pull by the back plate, but you are still being pulled by 6 bolts.

The only problem I see is that you still used the stock 3 bolt holes. Why did you not just fab the other mount longer and tie it into the bumper. I would not trust to be pulled out of mud or up a hill with only 6 bolts. I understand that you are spreading the load of the pull by the back plate, but you are still being pulled by 6 bolts.
I understand what you are saying about his bumper, but that is how JCR, and some other company's front bumpers are. So, there is nothing wrong with his setup. I do agree about the fact that since he made it all anyways that the tie-in mounts should ahve just been part of the bumper.
The frame tie-in's help spread the load. Look at the stock tow hooks, there are only the 3 bumper bolts +1 that goes farther back.

I understand what you are saying about his bumper, but that is how JCR, and some other company's front bumpers are. So, there is nothing wrong with his setup. I do agree about the fact that since he made it all anyways that the tie-in mounts should ahve just been part of the bumper.
The frame tie-in's help spread the load. Look at the stock tow hooks, there are only the 3 bumper bolts +1 that goes farther back.
and the stock tow hooks have been known to break. I have my bumper brackets go pretty far back, and it still moves. If you dont make any rock to bumper contact, it'll probably be fine, but a decent hit on it and it will move.

As JCR explained it the initial 3 bolt holes aren't the weak point it's the metal they bolt to is too weak, so by adding that 1/4" plate back 13" thru all those other holes it spreads the load further back. I also upgraded the 3/8" bolts to 7/16" grade 8 bolts and the back one to 10.9's. I think it will be more than strong enough... I won't sheer em off that's for sure :)

Are you sure you didn't build the Team Naxja rear truss?

Wait, nevermind. You do better work.

Back