• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i have no idea what im doing

1904xj

NAXJA Forum User
so a couple of months ago i got this neat red xj

its a 93 4.0 HO, aw4, with np231. im assuming it has a RE 3.5" lift from what ive seen on it and research. i have taken it on some trails in corral canyon and even went out to the anderson truck trail. i wanted to build a nice crawler/DD but after i saw videos of crazyjim and read up on jeepspeed my attention has gone in that direction.

this is the part where i need help. suspension. i took her out to proctor valley and my rig literally felt like it wanted to shake apart. im assuming its my front end and my weak leafs. so im more then likely going to pick up a pair of bilstein 5100's and a leaf pack that is in better condition then mine. this is what i plan to do with in the next week. however i am looking for more knowledge as how to set up my rig. not to set up for jeep speed per se, but enough where i can take on a dirt road like proctor valley going faster then 15mph without my jeep feeling like its going to fall apart at the seams.

also this may just be my build thread so im more motivated to build more. all the advice and help will be grateful. also as in where to go for parts and whatnot. i already read the SD area of places to check out, but most of those posts are old and i dont know if they are still worth the knowledge.

also i already switched out the D35 for a chrysler 8.25 (27 spline-ya ya but its better then the D35) installed ford 19# injectors and have the 99+ intake. just waiting to buy a header so i wont have to pull everything twice.

anyways suspension is my main priority, then frame stiffening and fabbed bumpers. as for suspension would what i have stated to be installed be good enough for a go fast jeep in the dez? and are there any repituble welders in the east county area that are recommended? thanks in advanced to all or anyone willing to give me knowledge and steer me in a proper direction.

First thing we need to know is what is your budget like? This will determine what way to direct you. there are different types of suspensions and go fast stuff is really big on it.

I would look into drop brackets for the front end. The closer you can get the control arms parallel to the ground the better. That will smooth out the harshness in the front end.

I would look into a set of 7100's over the 5100's

If you want to be like crazy jim, then you have to take 3 years to builx your jeep and keep your friends anxious telling them new dates in which you think itll be done :dunno:

i would like 7100's but i found a pair of 5100's on CL for 80. and if they look legit ill pick em up, hence why ill settle for those for now. the leafs i just want to replace the POO POO BUTT ones i have in the jeep.

budget wise i am looking at around 300-400 per month that i can do until summer time.

and stiffeners i want, but i need to know someone that can weld. i dont feel like taking my jeep to a random shop that i dont know, so if anyone here can refer me to a shop preferably in east county or if you can weld and want to make some money let me know. :wave1:

also after i pick up these shocks and leafs i want to test em out, anybody know of a place in east county where i can get my rig dirty real quick so i wont have to drive all the way to proctor valley? anyways again any info is helpful. thanks in advanced guys :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
...also i already switched out the D35 for a chrysler 8.25 (27 spline-ya ya but its better then the D35) ...

No, not really. It's about the same shittyness. Good news is you can swap in a 29 spline carrier and shafts. If you're going to go romp on it carry spare shafts at least until you can do the FULL swap. Get a full detroit locker for the carrier, and some junk yard shafts, or someone with spares on the for sale board that upgraded to a 44/8.8/9 or something.

I don't know much about speed. I have 5150s and my rig sucks at speed. Some of that blame I put on the leafs and coils that are currently on it. I'd go Nationasl or Deaver perhaps ? You'll need to save your budget for a bit. But I hear they are worth it. They have JeepSpeed specific stuff.

Last edited:
i would like 7100's but i found a pair of 5100's on CL for 80. and if they look legit ill pick em up, hence why ill settle for those for now. the leafs i just want to replace the shitty ass ones i have in the jeep.

budget wise i am looking at around 300-400 per month that i can do until summer time.

and stiffeners i want, but i need to know someone that can weld. i dont feel like taking my jeep to a random shop that i dont know, so if anyone here can refer me to a shop preferably in east county or if you can weld and want to make some money let me know. :wave1:

also after i pick up these shocks and leafs i want to test em out, anybody know of a place in east county where i can get my rig dirty real quick so i wont have to drive all the way to proctor valley? anyways again any info is helpful. thanks in advanced guys :cheers:
Is your name Dave? did you email me about the bilsteins and leafs? sorry dude, someone just drove away with the shocks a few minutes ago. wish i knew you were on naxja, i would have held them. i dont hold STUFF for regular craigslist people though lol

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not really. It's about the same shittyness. Good news is you can swap in a 29 spline carrier and shafts. If you're going to go romp on it carry spare shafts at least until you can do the FULL swap. Get a full detroit locker for the carrier, and some junk yard shafts, or someone with spares on the for sale board that upgraded to a 44/8.8/9 or something.

I don't know much about speed. I have 5150s and my rig sucks at speed. Some of that blame I put on the leafs and coils that are currently on it. I'd go Nationasl or Deaver perhaps ? You'll need to save your budget for a bit. But I hear they are worth it. They have JeepSpeed specific stuff.
i thought my 5100's were decent at speed, for what they are. definitely not a lot of harshness, floats through most stuff decently.

damn....no worries though. but it looks like im back to square one. so i guess im on the lookout for shocks right now.

question: i have RE coils, if i get a better set of shocks will i actually notice better handling on dirt. i.e. able to go faster then 15mph on roads like proctor or the bumpy ass road toward superstition?

also i was looking at black diamond shocks. worth it? or should i just save for the bilsteins?

Proctor Valley, can be driven in anything at about 40. I'm guessing your talking about hitting the washboard sections and your jeep is vibrating like crazy. Washboards get smoother with more speed. Good shocks will help as well.

Washboard.....thank you, the term escaped my head for a second. Any ways it just seems that the washboard section makes my jeep bounce a lot and it seemed that I loose a lot of traction too.

Happens to everyone bro, I don't think there is a cure for that

Yup, washboards are gonna make you float and wander a bit no matter what you have. Just go faster and keep it pointed in the right direction. There is a road on the way to another members house that that is always a mess, but I can do 45-50 over it. The jeep bounces,vibrates and drifts a bit. Its fun tho, and I DO NOT have the best suspension, mine is pieced together but it gets the job done!

Just drive it, enjoy it and fix it when it breaks!

ahh, ok then. will do. some new shocks and springs are still in the near future though. anyways im just going to keep this as my newbie build thread and post pics of whats been done and what i want to do.

any information or advice will be appreciated. like how not to go about installing something or "do this instead" type of deal. all of you guys have been great!

Back