• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chronic death wobble problem??? Totally stumped!

sleepyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
First off this is the typical death wobble everyone describes. Comes in about 40mph and goes away around 50mph, but when you hit a bump anywhere above 40 its game over and feels like the front axle is ripping itself out from under the jeep.

So here is a little back ground on the jeep. Its a '96 with 150k on it now. I bought it in 2004 and put a rustys 4.5" short arm lift on it and 32's, daily drove for a few years with no problems. Then sold it to my dad and continued to drive fine till summer 2011 when the death wobble came.

This is not my first rodeo with death wobble so I started with the basics and have been chasing it for a year now. Here is a list of new parts installed in the last year in pursuit of fixing it:

New double shear track bar with larger bolt on axle end thats good and tight, stock steering with new ends all around, rancho stabilizer, new 33X10.50 bfg a/t's had balanced and rotated several times, new wheel bearing units, new upper control arm bushings on the axle end, new iro adjustable control arms uppers and lowers, several alignments at a few different shops. Even tried the 35" Kevlar's off my current jeep which drives great and that made it worse!

Any body have any suggestions on what to do next?? I am at a total loss on this thing! I did rear end a car in it a few years before the wobble started, mabey it tweaked the unibody???

Not all these parts were installed at once. I've just been trying one thing and checking as I go. I added more caster and it didnt change. I'm gonna check steering box bolts and mabey add a little more toe and see what it does. Just trying to affect some how now...

ball joints......you did'nt mention them :)...jack the wheels up and check for play from top to bottom, even slight play could cause DW...I need to change my drivers side from rolling it lol...I have slight DW on the freeway.

Yes i did replace the ball joints but i forgot to metion it above. Those where one of the first things i replaced as well as the track bar.

Loosen up the Trac bar bolt a bit and do the steering test, with the tires on the ground have someone rock the wheel back and forth while you look at everything for play, especially the track bar ends. I have seen people tourqe the track bar bolts so hard you cant find the play while inspecting but it can still move while driving.

Last edited:
My DW turned out to be the pitman arm was loose on the splines of the box. It was so bad i couldnt even tighten it, it was shot. Definitely have someone shake steering wheel while you look from underneath, that's the best way I've found.

I had a bad shock on mine.It was only one side but i couldn't get past 40 mph.How old are yours?Also broke a shock mount off the front and it did the same thing.

Good luck

if you have the short arm lift it is very very important that your caster never gets less than 4 deg positive. check all the control arm bushings especially the bushings on the axle top arm mounts, you do not want any slop at all, i also have found if your rear shackle bolts or leaf mount bolts are loose it gives the same feeling. you can check your caster pretty easy yourself with a good protractor on the top ball joint, or at the pinion yoke. if you check it at the pinion it should be around 6 deg pinion down, at the top ball joint should be 7 deg positive but no less than 5

Mine was tire balance. Make sure they are not just static balancing your tires. They need a dynamic balance that may correct the left and right movement of the tire. A static balance just corrects up and down. Maybe try that?

Also check movement in ball joints on the x and y axis. Sometimes they can have side to side and not up and down, Or wheel bearing.

I used to have death wobble so bad I couldnt go over 25, I was at 6.5" of lift on adj short arms and put new bearings in, uca bushings, balanced the tires several times, adjusted the alignment multiple times got a new steering stabilizer, same stuff. i just said efff it and got long arms and a beefier track bar and mount and now it drives better than stock. I know its not the most cost effective fix but control arm angles with short arms and any lift height over 4.5" is horrible.

Back