• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

having a hell of a time getting a good pattern

Monster Mopar

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to set up a Nitro gear set in my Dana 30 with an ARB. Here is my most recent set up. I don't like the sharp cut off line at the bottom of the drive pattern and the coast pattern seems thin and long.

I hope the pictures are working I'm trying to post from my phone since the internet is down at my shop. I'll include the links to the pictures just in case it doesn't work.

Backlash: .008
Pinion depth: .053 + the slinger
RGS stack: .128
NRGS stack: .180

5512418410p4.jpg

531281808p4c.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xkrvsd8pdl5z2fp/oToJIyULYp/5512418410p4.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/18qeh8qbqu4it9k/axt_yfe_o0/531281808p4c.jpg

Okay I'm getting it figured. My pinion was way to deep. I blame it on the gear marking compound I was using yesterday when I checked the pattern near this depth. It was a bark blue and very hard to read/see against the dark gear set. Now that I'm checking the pattern with the yellow compound I can see I was close yesterday, when I thought I was way shallow because I couldn't see anything :doh:

Just a general tip, if you wrap a towel around the pinion flange and give it some resistance when you are checking your pattern it will give you a much better indentation into the marking compound... just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys. I ended up getting it figured out and all set up last night. It was spot on with my set up inner pinion bearing race but when I put the new race in it moved the pinion a hair deeper. Should be fine though, I didn't want to pull it and risk damaging the baffle.

Back